1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Junior Huskey's whatizzit?

Discussion in 'Bluegrass [DB]' started by Steven Ayres, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Steven Ayres

Steven Ayres Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2007
    Northern Arizona
    Here's a photo of Junior Huskey with Jim Barber and Sonny Burnette in '52. I'm wondering whether anyone here knows what's going on with the little drumlike dingus Junior has attached to the shoulder of his Kay M-1. I expect it has something to do with slapping, but please, you tell me!

939_Jim_Barber_Don_Sonny_Burnette_on_steel_Junior_Huskey_WNOX_MidDay_MerryGoRound_1952_1.

Reiska likes this.
  2. cultrvultr

cultrvultr Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2008
    Oakland, California
    Brushbass. Search here and you’ll see some good info.

I built one and posted about. Also some YouTube videos about how to make one for cheap.

Steven Ayres likes this.
  3. Dr. Love

Dr. Love

Nov 5, 2008
    Lubbock, TX
    When I went through the Ryman several years back, they had a bass like that (probably the same one) and the guide said the theater had a "no drums" policy at the time and he used that with a brush to add some extra rhythm.

Steven Ayres likes this.
  4. Steven Ayres

Steven Ayres Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2007
    Northern Arizona
    We've been slowly adding to our list of fame-connected Kays, and it would be fabulous to document that bass! Can anyone in/near Nashville get some photos and (important!) the serial number?

d.Fly likes this.
  6. And this is one reason a lot of nascent country music stars in the 1950s honed their craft at the Louisiana Hayride in Shreveport. It wasn't called the "Cradle of the Stars" for nothing.

7. cultrvultr

cultrvultr Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2008
    Oakland, California
    this is a really awesome video! A lotta practice goes into playing it that fast and clean.

I don’t think I could walk in 4/4 like that with the brush without a lot more work. Especially at that tempo. I’ve mostly used it for a 2-step