Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jus Saw Marcus Miller & The Headhunters '05

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Jun 9, 2005.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    IT was a great show! I didn't see it all, had to go pickup my daughter before too late, but Marcus Miller did not disappoint. The biggest surprise for me was that MM opened the show on a 1951 Reissue P-bass (maybe it was a Sting sig?). That was really a sweet move on Marcus' part because he absolutely nailed the old Paul Jackson lines that he was playing. Marcus and the band also played Frankenstein from his new album. That was a real showstopper, it featured a really super rythmic slap solo. Marcus also played bass clarinet on an old Herbie Hancock song, recreating Bernie Maupin's old lines. I'm sure someone else will post about this show! It was at the Pageant in St. Louis.

2. That sounds like a fantastic night of music - thanks for the report - I've no idea if they will be over here in the UK - Marcus is playing a couple of dates with his own band that I will be at and Herbie just played about 5 gigs here doing lots of new stuff (he's got a new album coming later this year which will feature people like Sting and a few other big name singers) but I'd love to see the Miller-fueled Headhunters. Jaco P played with the original Headhunters band back in the day and Herbie said it was incredible - I know this because Herbie told me about it when I interviewed him a few years ago - he was a top guy, really cool and down to earth.

Thanks again for the report

Mike

3. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    man i hope someone tapes one of these shows.

4. Jmann

Jmann

Apr 29, 2003
    Lexington, Ky
    I saw them at bonnaroo and it was awesome... keep checkin archive.org for free legal live music.

5. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I expect this show to only get better. The St. Louis show was the opening of the tour and I could see that they were not yet super tight although they were still excellent. I would love to see these guys by August, they would probably blow anybody away by that time.

6. Bass_Machine

Bass_Machine

Oct 29, 2004
    UK
    Wheeee!!!!!!!! I'm going to see Marcus on the 3rd of july in london!!! Super excited!!!!!!! :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

7. RyanHelms

RyanHelms

Sep 20, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    They must be changing things up as they go along. I just saw the Headhunters in Cleveland a few days ago - the line-up was Paul, Mike, & Bill, with Robert Walters (Greyboy Allstars, 20th Congress) on keys and Skerek on tenor sax.

Absolutely incredible. And as a bonus, I got to rap with Paul at the bar after the gig. :D

8. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That might be different show from the headhunters '05 featuring Hancock, Miller, Mayer, etc.

9. Sorry about my lack of knowledge but what happened to Paul Jackson?

10. RyanHelms

RyanHelms

Sep 20, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    Ditto. I had no clue about Headhunters '05 w/Marcus. That would be awsome! I bet Mike Clark can really get MM's juices flowing, and vice versa. Seeing them with Mike and Paul together, *and* Bill Summers, was too good to be true.

edit: Are there any recordings of Headhunters '05 with Marcus?

11. Jmann

Jmann

Apr 29, 2003
    Lexington, Ky
    at bonnaroo herbie said they will be doing a studio album after the tour if i remember correctally

12. RyanHelms

RyanHelms

Sep 20, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    So there's two Headhunters going on right now - one with Herbie and assorted cast, and the Paul, Mike, & Bill group?

Weird.