1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Just bought my first bass...Is it a good one?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mark2741, Sep 14, 2008.

1. mark2741

mark2741

Sep 14, 2008
    I played guitar for years in various bands until about a year ago when my last band fizzled out right after a gig. I was pretty happy about it because for the previous couple of years guitar was just work and not fun for me, and I was considering just quitting and trying a different instrument. Well, a year later and I haven't picked up my guitar much (I was waiting to see if I'd get that 'itch' again, but I just haven't), but I have still had the itch to try another instrument, particular fretless bass.

Unfortunately I just couldn't find a fretless on the used market locally the last few weeks, so I bit the bullet and purchased a fretted one:

A Fernandes J-Bass copy. It's made in Japan and is in mint condition. I paid $270 for it, with a gig bag. It plays really well (although I'm certainly no judge of that since it's my first day playing bass), although I'm having a tough time with string buzz. I *think* that is due to my weak hands and not the setup/action, but I'm not sure.

Although my goal is to eventually pickup a used fretless J bass, for now I'll work on this one and see where it takes me.

Has anyone ever played one of these Fernandes J basses? I'd never seen one before today. I probably paid too much but I figured if it was a good player then it would be worth it. So far I'm happy with it.

2. alembicguy

alembicguy I operate the worlds largest heavey equipment Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Minnesota
    pics

3. Welcome to the board.

No pix, no bass!

:^)

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Fernandes has made a wide range of quality levels, from the most beginner-level crud to a premium professional custom line and everything in between. Let us know the model number, the year, the country of origin, whether you bought it new or used, and then we can tell you what you bought.

5. mark2741

mark2741

Sep 14, 2008
    The serial number is: 020046
    On the back under the serial number it says MADE IN JAPAN
    Headstock on the front just says FERNANDES in gold letters (with black edges of letters).

Here is a small image of the body:
    [​IMG]

Here is a link to the large image:
    http://elearninglive.com/temp/fernandesLarge.jpg

I'll soon find my digital camera and snap some pics of the headstock. No scratches, dents, issues with it as far as I can tell.

Thanks!

mark

6. TMacATK

TMacATK

Jul 9, 2008
    Davis, CA
    Not a Fernandes expert, but I know they've made some great Fender copies. If it's made in Japan, that might be a good sign.

How does she play?

7. superfunk47

superfunk47

Sep 9, 2007
    If you're happy with it, I'd say it's the perfect bass :)

8. jmac

jmac

May 23, 2007
    Horsham, Pa
    +1
    This forum is not immune from bass snobery. You know if it didn't cost at least $6k and you didn't wait at least a year to receive it then it's not a nice bass. lol.

My first bass was a cort that I bought for $100 with my paper route money. It was the nicest bass ever. Until I bought my next bass; which was the nicest bass ever. Until I bought my next bass; which was...well, I think you get my point. :)

9. Kyon`

Kyon`

Aug 17, 2007
    Boston, MA
    I always find their stuff to be really good, even the cheaper beginner lines. Love the pups they use too, I always got a clear cut mid range sound on my j.

10. fuzzurin

fuzzurin

Apr 2, 2008
    Fernandes makes great basses.

11. jgsbass

jgsbass

May 28, 2003
    Floral Park, NY
    I own that same bass. Great player, a real bargain out of whats available. Here how it looks with its new (ly painted) pickguard

Attached Files:

12. scootron

scootron Supporting Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Moved to Texas
    Looks nice, congrats!!

13. superfunk47

superfunk47

Sep 9, 2007
    I love the grain of that fingerboard more than fat kids love cake :eek:

14. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    Well, it sure is a nice looking bass. If you keep having problems with string buzz, it probably just needs a good set up. IME my basses have always needed a lot more set up work than my guitars.

Welcome to the world of bass!

15. mark2741

mark2741

Sep 14, 2008
    Thanks guys. I finally got my Toneport working with Vista so that I could hear the output. I had originally bought it for guitar and it's kinda cool for that but for guitar it's hard for me to enjoy playing through anything but a tube amp so I always used my Fender Princeton Reverb. I'm using the Toneport as my only bass amplification at this point until I get good enough with it to start playing with other people.

Well....time to start practicing : ) Actually, on that note, I have a whole 'nother question. It's probably more appropriate I start a new thread though for it.

Thanks again!
    mark

16. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    A friend of mine plays mainly dobro and pedal steel, but he's also very good on bass and guitar. Anyway, one of his son's decided he wanted to play bass, so they got him a Fernandes Jazz. I was messing with it one day, and it sounded surprisingly good. I don't mean that as a putdown. I was only "surprised" because I didn't know anything about them, and wasn't expecting much. But I thought it was great for the money.

Several months ago, I stopped in a club to see my friend's band. Their bass player couldn't make it that night, so instead of dobro, Gary filled in on bass that night. That Fernandes sounded real good.

17. SurrenderMonkey

SurrenderMonkey

Aug 18, 2006
    Liverpool
    Rob Trujillo from Metallica plays Fernandes, if someone asks what it is :) It's probably built by a wholesale manufacturer in a big factory though.

for kicks, check this out