1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Just bought my first bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hackman61, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Hey everyone,
    I just bought my first bass today. CV 60's P-Bass in Fiesta Red. Screaming deal off ebay for $162,used, but looks like it's in great shape, almost brand new. I currently play a CV 50's tele. I'm going to have to learn all over again, but the bass just sounds so good I had to go for it. Any helpful nuggets of wisdom from you folks would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. samurai1993

samurai1993

Jun 6, 2010
    Chile
    Put some flats on it, and don't forget the tort pickguard...

... Just kiddin' :D

2 things: play, play and play, and when playing with people FOR GOD'S SAKE do it at a pleasant volume. Your ears will thank you.

3. FrednBass

FrednBass

Feb 24, 2012
    No pics no bass.

4. Welcome to the community! Congrats on your first bass too! Just practice as much as you can, and be patient with your playing. Remember to have fun with it. Best of luck!

5. Quit now. Get a hobby that'll actually pay money, like investing in the stock market. At least if you took up wood carving, you could sell your creations on eBay for more then you paid instead of 1/2 to 1/3 less for used bass guitar gear.

Seriously, remember that the bass is as much of a rhythm/percussive instrument as it is melodic. There's a reason they always lumped the drummer and the bass together as the "rhythm section" of a band back in the olden days...

6. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

That is great - I love that color. Take some lessons for the basics and have a great time. Remember to link with the bass drum and underplay rather than over play.

7. rfslick

rfslick

Dec 31, 2008
    Benicia, CA. USA
    Have you received it yet?

8. wilfred

wilfred

Jun 17, 2012
    Great first bass man congratulations

9. R&B

R&B Both kinds of music: Rhythm AND Blues! Supporting Member

Welcome to a fellow noob...who, unlike me, already knows his way around the fretboard. Nice first bass BTW and such a deal. Pics please!

Lurk, read, learn, ask--there is a ton of wisdom on TB. And play the heck out of that Fiesta Red thumper.

IMHO, the Hal Leonard Bass Method will get you started while you find the right instructor. Practice makes perfect. Boogie on! :bassist:

SL

10. Just won it tonight so pics will have to wait until it arrives at my door. Now I get to shop for a bass amp. I didn't expect to win this thing, but I'm glad I did. I love my CV Tele and will have to look around for some good Bass basics. I love learning new stuff.

11. LoTone

LoTone Clean as an Entwistle... Gold Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2010
    Quebec, Canada
    I wish I had a nice bass like that when I started...

Nice score, welcome to our shared addiction... :hyper:

-- LoTone

12. starmann

starmann Flats and Fingers Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2011
    US
    Congrats...

Enjoy, and DO put flatwounds on. But only if you want that Old Scool, Classic sound.

13. Flabass

Flabass

Aug 11, 2008
    St. Petersburg
    Lots of free lessons on youtube.

14. Play as often as possible. Learn songs by ear, and play with as many other musicians as possible. Never be afraid to ask for help.

15. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Welcome to TB, Hackman! Congrats on the CV - lots of love for them around here.

16. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Um... Pic's please... Welcome to TB!

17. Thanks fellas..my Fiesta is in transit and should be here by Monday I hope. I will post pics when it arrives. I'm pretty excited about it and can't stop reading and researching. I've played guitar for the past 3 years but this is like starting all over. I picked up an Ampeg BA-108 for practicing and a new leather 3" strap. Just waiting for the NBD!

18. Congratulations!

As a fellow guitarist learning bass, remember that all the musicianship skills (rhythm, relative pitch, etc.), fretboard knowledge, and taste transfer over enough to give you a nice leg up.

I need to get out and try one of these CV P basses ...

19. MarkoYYZ

MarkoYYZ Commercial User

Jan 31, 2012
    Toronto
    Hammersmith Music
    Congrats!

Since you're also now shopping for an amp - the most valuable tip you need is that a bass amp needs 3-5 times the wattage of a guitar amp to keep up with a band. 100W minimum for modest garage type practice and 200-400W for bar gigs (or just practice in a band with a Marshall stack gui**** and Bonham wannabe drummer).

20. Congrats![​IMG]