just bought the new bass big muff

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by SamsonWade46, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Yea and I gotta say, hell damn yes!! this thing kicks the crap outta my 40$ russian big muff, my 170$ fulltone, my silver american big muff, and my boss bass distortion pedal. With the bass boost switch you actually get more lows even with the distortion on all the way un like most other pedals, wher the lows tend to fall out as it gets crunchyer. it was 79$ which rules so hard. I can actually get enough feed back at a low volume to use the feedback as part of a song but only when I want to. I cant say enough how much I think this thing kicks ass. The only draw back I see is they dont give you a battery port so in order to change the battery you need a screw driver and have to take the back plate off like the old russian ones. I run it from my power supply any who so this dont bother me too much. also its tiny about as tall as a boss pedal and only a lil wider and with the knobs the same thickness. Super super score if any of you liked the big muff youll like this. It has a bass boost switch, which does exactly that, but does lose some of the tone, but with the tone knob on like 9 and the sustain also on like 9 and volume accordingly i found a really cool sound that I really enjoy. I ran in chain (loop is gonna come tomorrow to see if their is a diff) with my normal rig LMK II jazz p and les paul, 4x10 +1x18 so yea just wanted to let yall know this sorry if their already been a thread on this I did a search and didnt find one so it aint my problem if this still manages to annoy some one. all and all if you dig fuzz, wanna run it with a power supply, and are sick of your lows getting the ax but this thing :)

2. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06

Mar 13, 2009
    San Bernardino,CA
    i'm looking into getting this pedal today actually but let me know about and recc settings and just how you are liking it even more after playing with it...need some fuzz and my pedal will be happy for now!

3. Fullmetal

Fullmetal

Oct 18, 2008
    United kingdom
    The Bass Big Muff does get alot of praise around here. I own one and I doubt I'll ever get another fuzz pedal, it is perfect. The interchangeable switch in the middle is what makes it incredible.

For those who don't know, you can switch between:

Normal: Standard blend, has a bit of a mid boost IMO.
    Bass Boost: Increases (or boosts) the low end signal, so you can not only hear but feel the fuzz.
    Dry: This is awesome, blends the fuzz with your dry signal, sounds pretty neat with the right settings.

This is definantly the fuzz pedal to get for those who want awesome sound at a reasonable price.

4. Aurel

Aurel

Dec 11, 2008
    Paris, France
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Basses & Framus guitars, Pigtronix, Aguilar Amps, Orange Amps,
    Great pedal indeed! That's the one I use onstage.
    But for studio work, I still use my early 90's russian Sovtek and my US made 1978 EHX Big Muff which both sound incredible but lack a bit of low end definition when used live.

5. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06

Mar 13, 2009
    San Bernardino,CA
    i decided to go with the WAY HUGE SWOLLEN PICKLE and no offense but i really prefer it over the BBM when i used it both at guitar center and now at home. my .02

6. wetzelman1

wetzelman1

Feb 12, 2009
    been using mine for about 2 months now and love it as my first fuzz. Could probably find something more unique to the sound I want, but I can't afford to spend $600 on trying out a mastotron, bluebeard, supercollider etc.

The dry mode is what sets this pedal apart though. Already having a good clean tone allows the fuzz to add to your tone instead of change it. This lets me pretty much leave it on at all times, helps to fill some empty space.

My favorite effects are not the ones you notice when they're on, but the ones you notice when they're off.

7. good for you. it also costs WAY more and lives up to its name in terms of size.

The BBM outperforms many much pricier pedals in terms of sound, and is usually more affordable. It's not the perfect fuzz for everybody's needs... only 90% of them...

8. I purchased a used Supercollider with the mids knob (still costs more than does the new Bass Big Muff Pi). I do like the Supercollider's sound and "tweakability" more than that of the Bass Big Muff Pi, but only a little more. The ability to blend the wet and dry signals makes the Bass Big Muff Pi a champ, as it otherwise gets a bit "flabby" for my tastes (though some folks dig that, and that's cool--sound is very subjective).

IMHO, one cannot find a better value on a bass fuzz than the newer Bass Big Muff Pi!!! I didn't buy one only because, when I purchase effects pedals, I want them to work both on guitar, keyboards and bass. The only times I've made exceptions is for effects with big tracking concerns (octaver and true synth effects pedals).

9. pig

pig

Jul 18, 2009
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    How does the new big muff pi stack up against the zvex mastotron? Anyone try them both?

10. I like my Bass Big Muff.

11. I love my BBM.

I'm not too huge into fuzz. But i sold my Bluebeard after i got the BBM because i only needed 1 Fuzz.

The reason i love the BBM is because i do use a lot of OD, which used with the BBM's Dry Mode is just awesome.

12. speedkills

speedkills

Jan 10, 2008
    California
    I love my Bass Big Muff.

It is now the only pedal I use.

13. Bass big muff is a primary pedal on my board, it is the fantastic.

14. MetroBass

MetroBass

Mar 26, 2008
    South of LA
    Hatred obscures all distinctions.
    At first I wasn't as excited as I thought I should have been based on all the comments I've read about the BBM. But after a few months and various tweaks and changes in the sequence on the pedal board I've come to appreciate it's qualities and tone.

For the price and flexibility it's definitely becoming a favorite.

15. LuvMusic

LuvMusic

Aug 18, 2007
    Oak Park, IL
    What a timely thread. I've been looking for a different fuzz to experiment with and the BBM sounds like a good candidate.

On top of that, received an e-mail from Music 123 about a 20% off sale. Checked it out and EHX pedals are included. Just scored a new BBM for $63.95 including shipping (no tax). Sale continues through Sept. 8th, no coupon code required!!

16. WorkinOnIt

WorkinOnIt

Aug 17, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Thanks for your post. You saved me $16! I was just starting to feel I had to get my first effect and see what all this effect stuff is about. (I've only been playing a couple years.) After hearing about the sale, I thought - what the heck. Brand new, highly rated box for $63 shipped. Schweet. Looking forward to the new toy.

I hear this will be the only effect I will ever need which is good as I don't want to startup a new, umm.. habit. :meh::D

I can't see where the website says today is the last day, but according to LuvMusic's post, today might be the last day of the sale in case anyone is interested.

17. LuvMusic

LuvMusic

Aug 18, 2007
    Oak Park, IL
    Your welcome! :p

Well fellow effects members.....looks like another one bites the dust! :eek:

18. Oric

Oric

Feb 19, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Man, I'm glad I saw this, I've been looking for something better than my Russian Big Muff, and this sounds like the perfect candidate.
    It was actually this video, of it on guitar, that convinced me:
    i can just imagine a downtuned SG through this and a huge Bag End rig... I just pooped

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021