1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Just getting going

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rwz, Oct 31, 2013.

1. rwz

rwz

Oct 31, 2013
    Ontario Canada
    So I joined this forum to gather some insight and information for the beginner bassist. I have been in music for 40 years at some level. Play keyboard, piano, some acoustic, and sax. Always been drawn to the bass and at 50 years old, its time to pick one up.
    So.....what should I buy. Classic rock and country are my favourites, and play many genres as well.
    How should I tackle the learning curve.
    I thank anyone who responds to this thread.

2. You don't need to buy an expensive bass to get started. Most of the Squier VM or Classic Vibe basses can be had for $300 or less and are gig worthy - good enough to play classic rock and country covers in any honky tonk bar on the planet. If you play piano I think you'll find bass isn't hard to play... just hard to play really well.

3. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    I started at 50 myself. With all the instruments you play, the bass will be super fun. I taught myself by playing along with all my favorite songs on CD. Your learning curve will be faster than you realize. You don't mention your location, but if you are near music stores go in and play all the basses in your price range. One or two will speak to you. Any bass can play any genre, so don't worry about brand or model.

4. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Psst- the best music store is the TB classifieds. Pass it on!

+1 to the Squier CV or VM for beginner/intermediate levels and being good enough to gig. For classic rock and country I'd be partial to a Precision bass myself.

5. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    TB classifieds +1
    Any bass can play any style.

6. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Pittsburgh PA USA
    Welcome to TB, it's a treasure trove of bass info and insights.

I've been a drummer over forty years, I began my bass odyssey at age 51, I'm 54 now.

A lot of people will suggest some sort of Precision bass, I like them myself. Get whatever feels best in your hands though.

7. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Chamonix Mont-Blanc
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    Exciting days!

Given your understanding of theory from playing piano, bass will be cake if you dedicate yourself to it. But as was said, it will be hard to play well. I have been playing for 25 years and I SUCK compared to any professional.

If I were you I would try to find a used Fender mexican bass on the classifieds. You will be impressed by how cheap they can get and the quality is higher than the Asian made Squiers - higher resale value as well if you decide you don't like it.

Feel free to PM ideas that you find on the classifieds and I will be happy to help out.

As far as an amp - people seem to love the Fender Rumble series and those are pretty cheap.

8. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    Welcome! You have come to the right place. While I am one of the resident Gibson Thunderbird nuts here I think a Fender Precision would be the bass for you it's the work horse of rock and country, simple yet extremely versatile. You could buy a Squire Classic Vibe Precision(great bass for the $) for about $300 or pay much more for a USA Fender or vintage. No shame in a Squire but if you can afford it I'd aim a little higher. The TB classifieds are a great place to shop! Btw I own 4 70's P basses :)

9. rwz

rwz

Oct 31, 2013
    Ontario Canada
    All this info is great so far.....thanks. I am in Eastern Ontario and there is a great little guitar shop downtown that sells used and new stuff. Thought I might start there. As for amps, I've got many....maybe none specifically for bass, but I'm sure they will work for now.

10. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    a decently powered tube head should work, but the guitar cabs likely won't except for low volume practicing alone

11. Most keyboard combos, like the Roland KC series, are fine for bass. A tad on the mellow side, but will work fine for country. For classic rock eventually you'll want a real bass rig. But when I teach lessons I let the students play through my practice rig and I play through my wife's KC-550.