Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just got a new bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dimplebutt, May 20, 2004.

1. dimplebutt

dimplebutt

Oct 13, 2003
    LA
    I just got a new bass it's a 5 string. and sounds great. I saw this on e-bay and it's made by a company called Babilon. actually on the head stock it jsut says Babilon Pro-series. I tried to do some research online and i couldnt' find anything. Anyone know about this bass company or how i might be able to find out more info.
    I really just bought cuz for the price i figured it wouldn't have hurt to try. The sound is actually alot like the Cirrus. and i really like the cirrus sound but this is a little warmer.

enjoy

2. dimplebutt

dimplebutt

Oct 13, 2003
    LA
  3. ubersam

ubersam

Oct 12, 2000
    L.A.
    Checked out the first pic :eek: WHOA! Extreme close up!

Second one, looks good. :bassist:

Got any full frontal pics?

4. dimplebutt

dimplebutt

Oct 13, 2003
    LA
    One FULL FRONTAL for your viewing pleasure

:D

5. ubersam

ubersam

Oct 12, 2000
    L.A.
    Very Nice! Congrats!!

:bassist:

6. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    It looks like a bass that's sold down here in Australia as an Ashton, and from what I've been led to believe, also under several other manufacturer's labels, including possibly Peavey (Force series?). From the little I've been able to find out, they're made in Vietnam, and nobody's ever given me a definte answer on woods etc, though mine has a flame maple top and back. Mine looks good, and sounds quite OK. I bought it on a whim brand new for $A250 with a hardcase, so I'm happy with it as a spare.

On my particular model, the three large neck laminates are all of the same timber like yours, and unlike the pic I posted.

7. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
  8. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    All of these basses are made by Samick:D

9. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    That was the bass I was thinking of. It looks similar enough to mine to believe they're from the same manufacturer, though mine is active.

Interesting now that I've done a search on the Grind that it seems to be loved or hated, and was very inconsistent in finish. The finish on mine is excellent, the neck is great/fast, setup was fine as bought, and if I can find a couple of soapbars cheap that fit it (eg Barts) then I'll slap them in and see if it's even better. The preamp will be replaced when I build my next batch, irrespective of the pickups, as the wiring is just not up to my standards; it's not bad, I'm just picky.

10. Have you got any evidence to back up this statement? :confused: Samick is a Korean company.

These basses are made in Viet Nam as evidenced by press clippings from Peavey and others describing the Peavey basses. Peavey is the first of the manufacturers to enlist Vietnamese companies in this type of venture. Need further evidence? My Peavey Grind 5 NTB (bought before the name change) has Vietnamese characters impressed into the foil on the back of the cavity cover plate. As soon as I remember to bring it to work, I'll have it translated by one of my co-workers.

11. dimplebutt

dimplebutt

Oct 13, 2003
    LA
    hmm it doe looks like the grind but the harward looks to be different. in particular the (forgot the name) part where the string attach to the bass near the bottom. and if it is a samick/peavey. what about the name babilon that's on the head stock. also i actually looked inside the back and there is no vietnamese writing. and it's active pickups.
    Thanks for the post this is all very interesting.
    i fell like i'm trying to find the family of an orphan or something.. :)

12. dimplebutt

dimplebutt

Oct 13, 2003
    LA
    i just played a gig with the bass and it plays great. i still need to get used to the extra string cuz i played a 4 string before.. but man it has a great sound.
    However, i have a yorkville xs 400h running a swr 2x10. I noticed that my sound peaks out when i play the lower notes on the B string. any ideas why? and suggestions on how i could solve this? Thanks :hyper:

13. dsidab81

dsidab81

Feb 29, 2004
    St. Paul, MN
    sounds like your cab might not have a low enough freq resonse and since that it's only a 2x10 that is likely true

14. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland

I need no evidence, Samick says so. He makes half of all the guitars in the world;)

15. I think the babilon Basses are actually form england, I went to a local music store looking for a new bass, a slap bass, and i spoke with the owner of the music store and todl me that it was a slap bass. i dunno if he was right. but theres always a chance that he is..

16. ubersam

ubersam

Oct 12, 2000
    L.A.
    Hhmm... my guesses... plucked with the same force, the thicker guage of the B string produces more volume, more mass moving accross the magnetic field of the p-ups, compared to the other strings. You may just need to vary the strength of your attack on the B string.

or

You may just need a set of strings that has better consistency, sound wise, from string to string.

or

It could be the bass itself, like the electronics, particularly the p-ups.

17. dimplebutt

dimplebutt

Oct 13, 2003
    LA
    hmmm an english slap bass.. it does have a great slap tone.. interesting very interesting.. is there any way you can get more info from that store.

Yeah i think the 2x10 just can't handle the low frequency.. :crying: oh well new reason to buy a 2x10 1x15 stack..If i do that would i need a crossover to keep the really low freq out of the 2x10 since the 2x10 is struggling?

thanks great info.. simple Great

18. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Yes. I was going to type a technical explanation, but that's simple enough. It's the 2x10 box not being able to reproduce the lower frequencies (a B=30Hz and E=41Hz) because it's just not able to. A 1x15, 2x15 or 1x18, depending on what you need/can afford, under the 2x10, with a crossover and a seperate power amp for the two speaker boxes would be ideal. I've used variations on this theme for years, especially as my preamp has a crossover built in to it and use a big PA style 2ch power amp to drive them.

19. dimplebutt

dimplebutt

Oct 13, 2003
    LA
    cool cool.. hmm i would like to already use the head i have..but it doesn't come with a crossover.. is there something on the market that i can buy. where i would take my bass head. line out into this crossover device then line that out to the speakers. My head is 400w @ 4Ohm i don't think i need any more power than that.. :hyper: