1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Just got done recording; thoughts and musings

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Greyvagabond, Apr 16, 2019.

1. Greyvagabond

Greyvagabond

Aug 17, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Hi everybody, my band Jacob the Horse just got done recording, and I figured I'd type out my thoughts on this session, as well as some of the gear that seemed to work best.

We're a garage-rock/punk-ish type band, and this record was going to be more Pop forward.

I usually record with my trusty ESP Vintage 4 P/J bass, through an old tube SVT-100 and whatever 15" speaker the studio has laying around. I then use a SansAmp for overdriven tones.

However, I tweaked the setup this time and used the following gear:

- Ampeg B-15n and matching cab
    - Acme Audio "Motown" DI

I also only used the P pickup on the bass for all but one song and ditched the SansAmp entirely. So this was the most "classic" bass recording set-up imaginable (other than the fact that I use roundwounds). And let me tell you, there is a REASON this is the gold standard for recording. We got a great sound in literally 10 minutes; it is punchy as all hell, and sits in the mix no matter how many guitar tracks you throw at it.

I also used a Fender Starcaster with flatwounds for some of the slower or poppier sounds, and I was blown away. Big, blooming warm fat tone that also sat in the mix. I used a combo of the DI and the Ampeg for two tracks, but for a slower, 50s ballad-style song, I just used the DI, and it really worked to clean up the tones and give it a faux-upright vibe. But the humbuckers on the Starcaster are HOT and really threw a nice crunchy, slightly-overdriven tone through the B-15. I'm seriously considering ditching my SVT-100 for a B-15-style preamp in the future.

Process-wise, we recording bass and drums live at the same time, with two scratch guitar tracks. We've used this setup a lot; we aren't the most technical band in the world, so this captures a good "live" sound and energy that tracking bass separately often lacks.

I'll post some mixes once we get close to a final. But my big take-away from now on is I'm just sticking with the classics; P-bass, B-15, old-school DI, and playing live with a drummer!

Microbass likes this.
  2. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 6, 2021