1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Just had a trip to the luthier (elevated bridge?)

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Silevesq, Jul 4, 2014.

1. Silevesq

Silevesq

Oct 2, 2010
    Quebec
    Hello all!

I recently went to see the luthier, for other stuff. Anyway, while I was there I ask him to check it quickly see if there is anything that would need to be done. Last time I did a set up is probably 2 years ago or so.

He said the bass didn't move to much, but I would need a new bridge and a new soundpost. Which I wasn't surprise. Also the fingerboard need work. But then said that it would be good to install an elevated saddle, but in doing so would need a new tail chord+maybe a new tailpiece if I'm willing to put the money.

I'm know the bridge and soundpost would be a nice upgrade and the fingerboard, well there is always work to be done. But elevated saddle, is it worth.

All the work for a total of a little less than 1400$ Canadian...

I have a Christopher DB303, velvet anima and a blue G, I play jazz and a lot of bow...
    What do you think?

2. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    That's a high price for that work unless he's installing a new ebony fingerboard. Raised saddle is hit or miss. What's wrong with the bass that all this new stuff will supposedly improve? You had a set up two years ago. Was the bridge good then? I've had the same bridge on my bass for 36 years and it's still working like a champ.

neilG likes this.
  3. Silevesq

Silevesq

Oct 2, 2010
    Quebec
    The bridge is the stock one(poorly designed and crafted) that came with the bass so it does the job, but it is not optimum and the sound post same thing. 500$

Elevated saddle he said something about the curve of the string, that it would put less tension on the bass. I'm not sure I really understand what is the purpose of it. 350$
    Can anyone explain me this?
    Fingerboard work 300$
    Tail piece+tail chord 150$

These are roughly the prices he gave me plus taxes.

4. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    A raised saddle will reduce the amount of downward pressure on the bridge. On basses with thinner tops (usually older instruments) reducing the pressure will allow the top to move more freely and give more and better sound.

5. kaybass1952

kaybass1952

Mar 12, 2004
    Is Mario Lamarre is doing the work ?
    if so it will be worth every penny .
    He can really do amazing transformative things to a bass.

6. robobass

robobass

Aug 1, 2005
    Cologne, Germany
    Private Inventor - Bass Capos
    Yes, but often at the expense of solid fundamental and good articulation. It helps some basses, but makes others "flabby". I'd do the bridge and fingerboard first, and wait on the TP and saddle. If you do go for a raised saddle, I'd consider an adjustable one.

What's wrong with the TP anyway? If you want to change it and the "gut", you are descending into a tank car full of worms. There are more opinions on this than zits on the captain of your high school computer club. Do the other work first, and see how it goes.

7. +1 on both.

Changing a solid wire to a braided steel (aircraft) cable for the tailpiece hanger might be a good idea. Synthetic (carbon fibre) hangers get different votes, it might help or not (but still better than a solid metal hanger).

8. robobass

robobass

Aug 1, 2005
    Cologne, Germany
    Private Inventor - Bass Capos
    I absolutely agree on that!

9. gnypp45

gnypp45

Apr 21, 2014
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Probably true. :-D