1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Just picked up a Yamaha BB414 -- nice bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jakelly, Sep 16, 2010.

1. jakelly

jakelly

Nov 8, 2009
    I'm impressed with Yamaha, always have been. They make great guitars. Even the budget models are usually really good. I've been wanting a BB414 for a while since I saw Nick Seymour playing one in an 1986 Crowded House video. Bought a 2006 reissue (used), just brought it home this morning. Its the wine red "burst" color, like Seymour used. Didn't plug it in before I bought it, just played it acoustically and it was zingy with no usual dead spot on the G string. Pretty light at about 8.5 pounds. Very nice fit and finish, and, the maple in the neck is quarter sawn! They may not all be quarter sawn, but mine is. Tuning machines feel really smooth and accurate.

Plays great, sounds really punchy with very clear highs. Me likey. The bridge pickup sounds good soloed and it sounds really good with both pickups blended.

DSC00845.jpg

DSC00846.jpg

2. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    Yeah, Yamaha makes some great stuff. I wanted a BB model for years- I finally picked up a used BB614 last year around Christmas.
    Excellent bass-great feel to it. The stock pre isnt the best and I dont have the cash to upgrade it but overall, I really like having one in my arsenal.

3. jakelly

jakelly

Nov 8, 2009
    It feels and looks more expensive than it is: $399 discount brand new. I got mine for $200 used including the hard case.

tubster likes this.
  4. Nice! I' ve been looking for a substitute for my Precision, they seem like a good choice.

5. LeedsLad

LeedsLad

Jan 27, 2009
    Played this bass today in a store - i have to have it!
    They go for £150-£170 on ebay which is a bargain and Nick Seymour is a fantastic bass player one of my favourite bass players, Crowded House are just amazing.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021