1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

just picked up an ibanez trb50

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by andrewrepasky, Jan 5, 2012.

1. andrewrepasky

andrewrepasky

Oct 30, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Don't know too much about this one, although it seems to resemble a p bass. I was lent this bass and may possibly buy it off my friend. Anyone have any insight on this model? I was going to possibly replace the electronics, the bass overall is in great shape, just need to change the strings, im not a fan of flatwounds at all. Thanks!

2. andrewrepasky

andrewrepasky

Oct 30, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Also, is this bass passive or active? And what kind of pick ups would be recommended? I was looking at EMG? I need the most versatile pick ups I can find

3. andrewrepasky

andrewrepasky

Oct 30, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Bump. All I can find online is that its a good "beginners" bass.

4. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    It's passive, and it was the base model in the TR lineup.

5. Bassragerstitch

Bassragerstitch

Oct 21, 2010
    That bass was my first bass ever :D and its true its a good beginner bass its made of plywood and id look in to seymour duncan pickups i like the neck, it felt pretty good.

6. andrewrepasky

andrewrepasky

Oct 30, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Would it even be worth it to salvage the bass and install new electronics? I do really like the feel of the neck and the thing is light

7. andrewrepasky

andrewrepasky

Oct 30, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Should I replace the bridge as well?

8. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    Why do you want to replace anything on it? It's a $75 bass, and will remain a $75 bass even if you sink another $100-200 on pickups and a bridge. Just get a new set of strings and play it.

9. andrewrepasky

andrewrepasky

Oct 30, 2009
    Houston, TX
    So I can have a back up at gigs. I'm not worried about resale value, just a cheaper alternative than buying a new bass. And wanting to have a project to work on to get me by until I can afford the $1k bass I want. Im poor

10. andrewrepasky

andrewrepasky

Oct 30, 2009
    Houston, TX
    And it was a free bass to me.

11. andrewrepasky

andrewrepasky

Oct 30, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Seems to be a lot of people here that are against modding a crappy bass lol

12. Nobody

Nobody Banned

Jul 14, 2004
    gravel
    OOD likes this.
  13. andrewrepasky

andrewrepasky

Oct 30, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Just found out they have powersound pickups. Looks like ill be looking into some Seymour duncans on this project. Ill keep the stock bridge for giggles. Hoping this'll be sufficient as a back up bass. We'll see!

14. BoRadBass

BoRadBass

Feb 4, 2009
    CT,USA
    Go for it man... Mod that tings until your heart's content. And have fun doing it. A friend of mine has a TR50 and he is in the process of refinishing it and upgrading the pick ups. If you think it is worth it than in is!!

15. andrewrepasky

andrewrepasky

Oct 30, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Modded ibanez trb50(1994) ...my new p bass! Lol..added some quarter pounders for revival

ForumRunner_20120210_221256.

16. andrewrepasky

andrewrepasky

Oct 30, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Where can I find 250k pots? The 500ks have seen better days, and I wasn't liking the brightness. Im going for more of a p bass sound

17. andrewrepasky

andrewrepasky

Oct 30, 2009
    Houston, TX
    i need pots for both volume and tone...can someone please point me in the right direction? saw some CTS pots on stewmac's website, but didn't wanna order them until i got feedback from everyone