1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Just picked up my first upright.

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by dmeador11, Mar 8, 2013.

1. I just found this bass on Craigslist and had to drive 2 hours to go get it.
    She is a '56-'57 American Standard. The guy I bought it from acquired it in a package deal with a bunch of vintage guitars and he really didn't know much about it. He is only into guitars so I Picked it up for $800.

Attached Files:

56.jpg
      File size:
      41.3 KB
      Views:
    • bass.
      bass.jpg
      File size:
      21.3 KB
      Views:
  2. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    It's been refinished but you still got a great deal on it.

3. Wow, congrats! Great deal! I just my 1957 American Standard through a trade plus cash.

4. It really Thumps but I am going to get some new strings and a bridge adjustment tomorrow.
    I cant wait to play some Bluegrass with my nephews which have been learning Fiddle (8 years old) and Banjo (10 years old) .
    The 10 year has a new Cello that I would like to teach him to play like an upright bass.
    We could do a dueling basses kind of thing.

Attached Files:

5. mtb777

mtb777 Serving bottom for the Most High. Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2010
    Sunny South Florida
    Hahaha. I just picked the brother(#2644) to yours last Tuesday for $700. I was told it had a replacement neck which didn't seem right, as the varnish and patina matched. ImageUploadedByTalkBass1400968627.321086.
    I googled the name on the bridge, never heard of it before and found out through Upton's Directory it was a local retired classical/jazz player/luthier. Thursday after work I met him and he trimmed down the bridge and set everything up really nicely for $45 and looked at the neck. Told me that whoever repaired a very slight crack along the G side (couldn't even tell) did a REALLY NICE job (wink) and that the upgraded ebony fingerboard was equally as nice (wink wink). SCORE!!

6. You guys both got great deals. I have a nice (but refinished) '51 American Standard. It cost more but it's great for bluegrass.

7. geoffbassist

geoffbassist UK Double Bassist Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 17, 2006
    UK
    Founder - Discover Double Bass
    Congratulations, they both look like great instruments! It's good to know theres still a few bargains out there :)

8. mtb777

mtb777 Serving bottom for the Most High. Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2010
    Sunny South Florida
    Now I'm going to make you guys SICK.

I walked in to Sam Ash today looking for a pickup for the 1956 American Standard upright I just bought ( LAST TUESDAY) and couldn't find one, while the guy was checking inventory and availability, I see this.....
    ImageUploadedByTalkBass1401046820.269833. ImageUploadedByTalkBass1401046837.668005. ImageUploadedByTalkBass1401046857.335384. ImageUploadedByTalkBass1401046883.168395. .... This one is a....1956 Kay M-1 in absolutely MINT CONDITION with a pristine fingerboard and neck and scroll. The bridge is missing and it has a really old set of gut strings with the G string missing. It's like this thing was sitting somewhere for a long time untouched. No chips nothing but a little rough edge. OMG. I put a $150 deposit on it as it wasn't even in the the system because of the mandatory 30 day police hold. $999. God is good. SO GOOD!