Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just saw Gov't Mule in Boston

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Abluesbassist, Jun 4, 2005.

1. and i have only two words ANDY HESS. what a pocket on this guy. all night he was groovin hard. great show any one else catch them ?

2. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    I've seen the mule twice w/ andy hess--the first time as a guest (along w/ jason newstead) on the deep end tour, then last fall as a full time member--they are one cookin' unit--and the voodoo material really comes through great live. I've got tickets for 7/5 in milwaukee for a full day's lineup of oteil (burbridge) & the peacemakers, derek trucks band, gov't mule and the allman brother's band! That's one more than a triathalon!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

3. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    That Hess guy really rocks. I think he was on one of Scofield's latest discs too.

4. FenderHotRod

FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Arkansas
    You lucky MoFo's... Man Andy Hess has become one of my Fav. bass players. I didn't listen to much of the Mule until latley. Andy just thumps away on Deja Voodoo.

Was he playing his Fender P-Bass?

5. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    In an interview he states that he also played his Jazzes as well. Some songs also feature him playing with flats. He is my current favourite :D

6. Fliptrique

Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    Endorsing Artist: Mayones Guitars&Basses, Taurus Amplification
    yeah. slack jaw jezebel killed me. absolutely great playing.

7. I just saw govt mule at the Hunter Mountain Jamfest and although the music was good, i'm not a fan.

Now Robert Randolph and the Family Band played before them

HOLY SMOKES all of them were great and Danyel played slap, finger, and with a pick!

8. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I see The Mule every time they come through Southern Cal. I've seen them with Hess the last few times in San Diego. He's a great player. Always a great live sound from that SVT and old P Bass, too.

9. yeah Randolph played with them as well another awsome performance but IMHO i thought Mule was much better.

10. Hess played his old p and an old tele P maybe like a 50 something( what a tone) and one other bass possibly a jazz but i could really see and what a great sounding SVT rig. As soon as i can afoord roadies i am getting one.