1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Just saw Les Claypool...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by nathan, Jun 11, 2007.

1. nathan

nathan

Jul 16, 2004
    ....and it was terrible. Has anybody else seen him on his latest tour? Every song had what seemed like two separate 30 minutes xylophone (sp?) and saxaphone solos and a short 2-3 minute bass solo. Les would just walk off the stage at random points and let the drums play for like 45 minutes and he would periodically appear onstage with an animal mask on and dance around.

THEN he told us that he actually had a broken pinky on his fretting hand and his doctor had told him to cancel the tour, but he refused to. So, he said "there are just some songs and some things I just can't do for a few weeks." People started booing him.

I was very excited about the show, and it was a huge disapointment. Has anyone else seen him recently and felt this way?

2. labgnat

labgnat Inactive

Oct 29, 2005
    outta this world
    nope never been that disappointed about a show of his. sounds it would had been better had he just cancelled it.

when i saw em last primus played all of sailing the seas of cheese, it was a bit disappointing cause they were recording it and the volume was way to low, i shouldn't be able to hear myself singing or those around me.

3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Saw them on the Hallucinogenetics tour. If it weren't for the terrible soundguy/venue (Hummingbird Centre = t3h sux0rs) it would've been perfect. As it stands...it was great :p.

Sorry it was so bad dude, everyone has their bad periods I guess though.

4. nathan

nathan

Jul 16, 2004
    I would have killed to see him with primus...I'm not really that big a fan of his solo stuff. It just blew me away how terrible it was coming from Les Claypool. I mean, he's one of my idols. Honestly after that show though...not so much anymore.

He also just pressed some new movie he was in a lot.

5. labgnat

labgnat Inactive

Oct 29, 2005
    outta this world
    that would have pissed me off to, but i'm sure if you went to 100 of his shows only 1 would be that bad. unless u went to everyone with his pinky broke, haha

and the real reason his solo shows aren't as good is cause that material is no where near as good as primus. i love Gabby lala tho.

6. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    I've seen him three times , Purple Onion Tour, Col Claypools Bucket Of Bernie's Brains tour and the first Primus reunion tour.

He killed every show. Great shows all of them.

7. Plantbrain

Plantbrain Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2006
    Better to break a string than a pinky.

Should have cancelled but that's a lot of $, planning work etc.

Everytime he's played in the Bay, he's rocked the place to pieces.
    Sorry, guess it happens, see the Police's drummer comments on their tour, he was the worst critic of them all.

But if you have to apologize, you may as well not be up there.

Victor Wooten broke a string, as have many others, that did not stop them.

Fans love that type of drive.

But strings are not like pinky's.

Tom

8. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario

what?

9. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I have NEVER seen a bad Claypool show. I've seen him perform under various arrangements right around 20 times. NEVER. Must have been a flukey night. I've got tickets for the end of this month. You've got me worried. Last time I saw him at this venue, he performed Pink Floyd - Animals with the Frog Brigade.

10. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Saw him with the Sausage tour (playing with Helmet and Rollins Band, probably about '94 or so) and again with Primus a few years after that. Both were great shows.

bc

11. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    If it was Skerik and Mike Dillon on sax and vibes that must have been really friggin' cool.

12. nathan

nathan

Jul 16, 2004

I payed to see Les Claypool playing bass, not whoever else playing vibes and sax. Seriously, the sax and vibe guys got about twice as much of the spotlight as les did.

It seems like this must've been just a bad show. Hopefully I'll get the chance to see him again.

13. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Big +1 to that. Seen Skerik play with him several times.

14. labgnat

labgnat Inactive

Oct 29, 2005
    outta this world
    yeah mike dillon is pretty bad ass i met him playing with some bmx racer or somethign or other band in lawrence, he's a cool guy. but can only take so much of the vibes before it gets irritating.

15. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I don't mind Les Claypool, but Skerik and Mike Dillon would be my main draw to see one of Les's shows. But then again, I could see them both in Critters Buggin or a number of other groups for a lot cheaper.

16. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I've seen him live a ton. Most memorably would be with Critters Buggin minus Matt Chamberlain. Dillon played vibes with two mallets in his left hand, while playing drums with his remaining eight limbs.

17. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Well, I can't say I'm surprised...for a while now, Les has seemed to lack focus. I bought the Hallucinogenetics dvd and it's just utter crap, the band is just lost and so is Les. It seems like his eccentric mind is finally collapsing!

18. thats not good im supposed to go see him tomorrow...gettin me worried :(

19. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Hairy Apes BMX is the name of that band, one of the many he plays in :)

I see Les next week in Dallas, hope its better hehe - allthough I love Skerik and Mike D, so Im fine with their solos too.

20. davedamage

davedamage Hit string, go boom.

Oct 16, 2006
    Milwaukee area
    oh boy. i have tickets for the show tonight in indy. if it does suck, at least i got my tickets for free from my bud light rep... will update tomorrow.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 7, 2021