Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just starting out

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by steve09, Jun 27, 2004.

1. steve09

steve09

Jun 27, 2004
    Hi im just starting out playing the bass and i was wondering if you guys could recommend a video or dvd that would help me learn?
    Also my freind is selling some sort of fender bass with a lady amp (dont know if i spelt that right) for £150 would this be a good starting bass and is there any sites that have the ermm (this is going to sound really noobish as i dont know techinal terms) like notes to songs u know so i could print it off and larn to play them?
    Many thanks
    Steve

2. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    I would recomend a DVD/VHS put out by Warner Bros. Music called Bass Basics. It features Dale Titus and is easy to follow.

The material covered is basicly the first five frets. It covers fingering techniques, notes, major & miner arpegios, and a little 3 bar blues riff. It's basic stuff but a good start. It also goes into basics of the bass guitar, stringing the bass and tuning. After you get through that I would find a good bass teacher that way you will develop good techniqe and not pick up any bad habbits.

And I believe that amp you mentioned is called a Laney. I am pretty sure they are built in the UK. I know some people that use their combo amps and they say they are pretty good. If the bass is an actual Fender product I'm sure it will work out just fine as a starter bass.

As for other sites that you can get lessons on. You may want to try activebass.com and basstabarchive.com they have a lot of tab and files there to print out and learn from.

If you are looking for info on on equipment or advice on anything bass related this site is loaded with experienced and professional bass players(I am neither) who are willing to share information with you. I personally have learned a lot here.

Good luck.

3. norseman

norseman

Feb 19, 2004
    Norway
    If You mean tabs, go here: http://www.talkbass.com/tab/tabview.php?action=
    Very good archive.

4. steve09

steve09

Jun 27, 2004
    Thanks you both for your help.

5. steve09

steve09

Jun 27, 2004
    My freind asked me to ask you guys if you could name a few songs with good bass solos as he is just starting to learn some but is having trouble finding some
    Many thanks
    steve

6. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
  7. Kurisu

Kurisu

Nov 19, 2003
    Saskatoon SK
    I don't know that song... :ninja: