1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Just wasn't Road Worn enough for this fella .....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bass-flyer, Apr 25, 2009.

1. Wow, sand that puppy down and give it a real paint job. It looks half nekked. :D

2. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    I kinda dig it.

3. A bit overdone but nothing that can't be fixed. The RW bodies and necks have been getting pretty good prices on eBay so I'm curious to see how this Uber Worn one does.

4. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    :rollno: Sometimes I think sandpaper should be a controlled substance.

5. A little mojo can be a good thing, but there's such a thing as too much...this body is case & point...

6. Brewerpaul

Brewerpaul

Mar 1, 2009
    I really don't get the whole relic thing. I mean, if you play any instrument it will start to show wear and each ding and scratch tells a story-- display those proudly. But to purposely crap up a perfectly good instrument is a lie. Ditto for brand new pre-torn blue jeans. Just my opinion of course...

7. BruceofBruce

BruceofBruce

Feb 28, 2008
    Boston MAss!
    Ahmen Brotha!:bassist:

8. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    At least it's realistic wear... :: sarcasm ::

9. WildTrkey

WildTrkey Banned

Mar 1, 2009
    That's actually a nice piece of wood. I hear the bodies are select alder...great for a refin!

10. +10000 or something!

This "relic" and "vintage is soooo cool" BS is really annoying. I hope people will regain sanity some day....

11. sarcastro83

sarcastro83

Jul 27, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    meh... pick it up on the cheap and give it a good refinish... I'm thinking about doing that with a Squire VM Tele bass...

12. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    Wow.

A lie? Annoying? BS?

That's a lot of interest in basses that do not belong to you.

13. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    Ordinarily, I'd be thinking the same thing, but the seller mentions that there are some "sanding depressions" in the body. He doesn't say how deep they are. I'd pass.

14. The depressions are where the disc sander cut into the wood, on the top, by the neck pocket. Then he finished over it. :: drops face into hands::

15. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    Yeah...looks really natural. :eyebrow:

16. superfunk47

superfunk47

Sep 9, 2007
    And we all know what opinions are like, don't we?

Sorry to annoy you with our lack of sanity. I guess everything you like is the "right" thing to like, huh? Therefore everything else must be wrong, stupid, a waste of money, a lie, an abomination, etc.

Grow up, people. If you don't like something, it doesn't mean anything but that - you don't like it. Nothing more, nothing less. Doesn't make it wrong, stupid, or any of that. And quite frankly, the people who do like whatever it is don't need your approval to enjoy it. It's their business, not yours. And who are you to tell them that what they like is dumb? Some people need better things to do with their life. :scowl:

17. dumb-a**.

Why self-relic a $1,200 bass when you have no experience doing it?

18. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    I still don't get how a "Reliced" instrument would be desireable to anyone.

19. I'm kinda on the fence on reliced instruments. Although I like my basses as pristine as possible I sometimes love the feel of an old beat up (in a good way) bass, especially the neck.

If they could condition a neck so that it has the feel of a 40 year old instrument I would probably be all over that.