1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

K&K Bass Max low output

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Steve Boisen, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Steve Boisen

Steve Boisen Your first second choice™ Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    I bought a used K&K Bass Max here in the TBDB classifieds and I keep it in my bass bag as a spare. The pickup has a surprisingly low output and requires a gain boost of some kind to be useful (I use a Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster). I've had one of these pickups before and I remember it as being very hot which several users here confirm. I think the installation is correct, perhaps a little too tight if anything.

Does this sound an issue with a bad pickup, or could too tight a fit actually reduce the output?

- Steve

2. moles

moles

Jan 24, 2007
    Winnipeg, MB
    If it's Really Too Tight then that could be an explanation. IME a too-tight fit will at least take away some of the low end response, which could also be perceived as lower output.
    Before you started using the booster, what kind of input was it going in to? And how long of a cable?

3. Studiodawg

Studiodawg

Oct 25, 2007
    I had to send one back for repair once. Way too tight can "break" the piezo element. You should be able to tell if you're getting good level from it by tapping on it, etc. In my experience a tight fit is better than too loose.

4. tappingtrance

tappingtrance Cooke Harvey Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2005
    Wow I have plenty of gain from my bass master, I have two of them and they both have plenty. I use a Mark bass CMD 121P which has an input gain set at 12o'clock. Hope you figure it out!

5. Steve Boisen

Steve Boisen Your first second choice™ Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Not a big deal. I keep it as a backup and my Full Circle is going strong (knocks on wood).