1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Kai Eckhardt, one of the greats

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Arjank, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Arjank

Arjank

Oct 9, 2007
    Above Amsterdam
    Any admirers of Mr Eckhardt here on TB?
    The live album with John Mclaughlin from 1989 is still amazing after all these years. Here's some live footage (part 3/6)

2. tleebassist11

tleebassist11 Taylor Lee Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2011
    NC
    Endorsing: Fodera, DR Strings
    i love his playin...so tasteful...the video with him and jonathan herrera is great....

3. bass12

bass12 And Grace, too

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    While I can't say I'm a huge fan (simply because I'm not aware of enough of his work) I definitely like what I've heard!

4. Johnius

Johnius

Dec 5, 2007
    I find him to be one of the most musically interesting players out there today. So much so that I signed up for his mentorship program. I didn't make the full 108 days with only 12 days off so I had to resign, but he was very helpful and definitely delivered what I paid for. I really dig his work with Garaj Mahal.

5. rapidfirerob

rapidfirerob Fusion rules!

I love Kai's playing, a local Berkeley guy. I most enjoyed him when he played with Alex Machecek and Marco Minneman, mind blowing. I've seen him with Garaj Mahal and with his own band as well. Seems like a very nice guy as well.

6. Passinwind

Passinwind I am Passinwind and some of you are not. Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    I mixed a killer Garaj Mahal show several years ago at a friend of a friend's wedding. Good times, and Kai's a very cool guy.

7. Arjank

Arjank

Oct 9, 2007
    Above Amsterdam
    Yeah Kai is great, back in the 80's he sounded a bit like a Stanley/Jaco hybrid. Combining the slap/pop flurry's of Stan and the melodic lines of Jaco, best of both worlds.
    I'm definitely gonna check out some Garaj Mahal stuff!

8. Bass_Thumper

Bass_Thumper

Oct 20, 2009
    Madison, MS
    I'm a pretty big fan too. I got into Garaj Mahal a few years ago and have been digging everything that I've heard him on. Great player with a lot of cool stuff to say with his bass.

9. M Sterling

M Sterling Gold Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Love Kai Eckhardt's playing, My band opened for Garaj Mahal a few years ago, they were awesome to hang with and played an amazing show.

10. Rev J

Rev J

Jun 14, 2012
    Berkeley, Ca.
    I was lucky to take lessons with Kai for a couple of months a few years ago. I'm still working on some of the stuff I learned. I ran into him a couple of months ago and he still remembered my first and last name.

Stay Brown,
    Rev J

11. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I've been following and digging his playing since Vital Information and he was known as Kai Eckhardt-Karpeh. Always great!

12. Tampabass

Tampabass Going Viral By 2080 Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Tampa
    I know you are, but what am I?
    yes, yes he is awesome. In addition to the great work he's done with Garaj Mahal, he recently did some terrific playing with a trio led by pianist Ken Berman and also featuring drummer Akira Tana. It was nice hearing his electric bass in an otherwise acoustic context - some very nice tonalities -- Ken Berman Trio, Looking Forward

13. A deep SPIRIT for sure.... great player, educator and above all, great human being...

14. Arjank

Arjank

Oct 9, 2007
    Above Amsterdam
    For all us bassists I think one needs to have "John McLaughlin Trio - Live at the Royal festical 1989". Eckhardt's playing is smooth&raw and melodic&rythmic at the same time.
    Example of the recording is here

15. bottomzone

bottomzone

Oct 21, 2005
    Oh yeah!!! Kai is very sick and very cool!!!

A Groove is a Terrible Thing to Waste! :cool: