Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Kala UBass Megathread, Part 4

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Jun 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
  2. miiitch

miiitch

Nov 27, 2011
    Germany
    subbed, hah :p

gonna take mine to a little session with 2 a-guitars today :hyper:

3. etoncrow

etoncrow (aka Greg Harman, the curmudgeon with a conundrum)

I'm in...deal'em

4. scotch

scotch It's not rocket science!

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    Im warming to the idea of a solidbody... Definitely dont "need" one & Im still in love with the aesthetics and tone of the acoustics, but dang it- I love short scale, thick-string machines!!!!! I have my Ashbory, but I could see a solidbody Kala kicking its' butt.

5. BassmanSBK

BassmanSBK

Mar 31, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Combining two epic TB megathreads:

6. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I have much lust for one.

7. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Ding. Winner.

8. greenjon

greenjon

Jun 22, 2012
    If I understand correctly, people have posted that their Thunderguts came without end caps, and they had to tie knots in them? Mine arrived a week or two back with end caps made of crimped metal (brass?). I got them from aquila usa, which has since discontinued retail sales.
    I tried to attach a picture but it did not work.

When I restring, I grip the free end with a piece of chamois leather (split sheepskin), which incidentally works great for cleaning the strings and body of the ubass. The chamois grips the string perfectly.

9. SteC

SteC

Mar 20, 2012
    Dublin
    Does anyone know any stores or anything around NYC where I could try out a U-bass?

10. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Sam Ash.

11. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I'm so happy that my new band leader is behind the UBass.
    It sounds insanely great with this modern blues rock material.
    [Tedeschi, Trucks, Bonamassa, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, etc.]

Unfortunately, being the mental case that I am, I'm getting very paranoid about playing without a spare.

I need a telethon to raise money to buy a second UBass.

12. Timmy-Watts

Timmy-Watts Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2010
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    My spare is my '57 AVRI P-bass :) or my solid body, but it's just not the same.

I have become a mental case ever since I couldn't get my D string to grip while trying to re-string right before a gig one time. Fortunately I had my solid with me for the first set.

Last night the trio gig was all subs. Great chemistry and great U-bass sound! I'll probably post up some vids soon. F-deck>house amp with flat EQ. Perfect deep, thumpy, 3-dimensional bass sound. People paused from their steaks and were actually moving their hips at times. It was one of those classic gigs where things meshed well. Not perfect by any stretch, but it was pure music :)

13. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I can't consider my steel string the spare. I'm just not good enough to be able to switch that seamlessly.

14. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Today's recommended tune to play on your UBass.
    [from my band's material]

Stray Cat Strut. The UBass was Made for that song.

More fun than someone should have.

:D

15. Gorn

Gorn Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I just installed my thunderguts and I really couldn't be happier. I really like the higher tension. The really low tension on the E was always kind of annoying with the polyurethanes. Mine also didn't come with anythng but plain string, the same on both ends. I tied the ends into knots and used the little red washers that were left over from the black strings and that seems to have done the trick. Also, the ubass's in samash, at least the ones in queens and long island, had so many winds around the post I'm amazed the tuners haven't snapped off yet.

16. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Way to go. Excellent.

I was marvelling at the Thunderguts again earlier while working out some new material. It fills the whole house with amazing bass tone.

I am also noticing how Awesome the bass tone is up the neck.
    Some steel strings don't have great tone up at the 10th - 12th frets. This bass Sings there. With the Thunderguts, I have never heard better tone from any of my basses at that those frets.
    Amazing.

17. Lambic

Lambic Squeaky Pedals McGee

Apr 28, 2010
    Flanders (Belgium)
    Subbed by this lurker who will buy himself a mahogany fretless as soon as he has found a buyer for his modified Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar. Four basses is enough, so if a UBass is to come in, another bass has to go out!

18. davewave

davewave Old and in the way...

Jun 23, 2012
    Lincoln, NE
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. scotch

scotch It's not rocket science!

Nov 12, 2006