1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Keeley Dark Side

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Deguzilla, Dec 22, 2018.

1. Deguzilla

Deguzilla

Dec 22, 2018
    Hi! Sorry if there’s a thread about this pedal already, but I searched and couldn’t find much about it. Just wanted to know your opinions on the Keeley Dark Side? I’ve been looking for a multi-modulation pedal, and this is one that caught my attention. Heard a couple of bass demos on youtube and thought it was cool, but would really love some input from any Dark Side owners. Is the fuzz side nice on bass? Would you replace a dedicated pedal for it? And how good is the modulation side? From what I heard it sounds a bit subtle. Thanks!

2. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    I tried it and wasn’t a fan really - the fuzz is very fizzy without a lot of bottom or heft, and the modulations were indeed too subtle for my taste. I wanted to love it so much! I may try the Monterey someday just to see how that goes, but the Keeley modulation type stuff has not really hit the mark for me thus far.

Deguzilla likes this.
  3. Deguzilla

Deguzilla

Dec 22, 2018
    That’s a pity! I think Keeley pedals are so cool but doesn’t seem to really shine on bass. The concept of the dark side was really nice, but oh well... Thanks for answering, you surely prevented me from making a 300 dollars mistake!

4. PhatBottomBass1

PhatBottomBass1

Nov 24, 2018
    0112191206_HDR.

So, for myself, I kinda dig the box...

It has some monster tones for fretless!

I also have a vintage custom mosfet Bass Overdrive for some serious bottom end crunch, the 3Leaf Audio Octavbre Mini can add any bottom ya like and the Source Audio Programmable EQ let's you have four different EQ settings at your touch...the Dark Side is a very cool tool if artistry is your bag, not just "over the top" effect on your signal like ketchup allover everything! lol

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019