1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Keeping Cabs in Good Shape

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Chico16, Mar 23, 2013.

1. Chico16

Chico16

Apr 2, 2012
    Yuma, Az
    Recently purchased a G-K NEO 412 cab, played it at a show last night and LOVED it!! I want to keep it as clean as possible with minimal tears. So far what I'm doing is just placing the plastic cover it came shipped in on it whenever I'm not using it in order to keep dust from getting on it. Also when I load it onto my truck I put the plastic on it so no dirt gets on it while I'm driving. The back still looks good and clean, but I know sooner or later I'll start to see scratches on it since I place it face up on the truck. Does anyone have some helpful tips on keeping cabs in general in good shape? Or maybe a road case for this cab?

2. vickde

vickde

Jul 23, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    There are cab cover makers that sell through eBay. If they don't have one for your cab, they'll make one if you send them the measurements. They tend to be about $100US for one that size.

3. Chico16

Chico16

Apr 2, 2012
    Yuma, Az
    Alright cool! Any reliable ones you've used before?

4. Chico16

Chico16

Apr 2, 2012
    Yuma, Az
    Thanks for the link, I browsed through the homepage and couldn't find G-K on it

5. musicman666

musicman666

Sep 11, 2011
    ca
    Covers work great. But nothing works better than just being careful when loading and unloading. I tend to keep my gear (amps,cabs) in great shape. I even ArmorAll my cabs! It's my bass that I don't worry about getting knocked around.

6. musicman666

musicman666

Sep 11, 2011
    ca
    GK website has covers for their cabs.

7. Chico16

Chico16

Apr 2, 2012
    Yuma, Az
    Never mind I found it! Just not one for my cab. I'll try contacting them about making one for the 4x12

8. Chico16

Chico16

Apr 2, 2012
    Yuma, Az
    Yep checked it out, but the biggest they go to is the 4x10's :(

9. Rodger Bryan

Rodger Bryan Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Connecticut
    Non-padded slip covers are what I use to keep my cabinets from getting wet or mucked up in transit. They offer protection from abrasion as well as padded covers, but they are less expensive. I bought a set from studio slips to keep the cats away and to keep them from getting dusty when in storage. They will custom make any cover for you for a reasonable price, but I noticed that they already have a pattern set up for the Neo 412. It shows a price of $80, but you may want to check it to be sure.
    http://www.studioslips.com/

10. Chico16

Chico16

Apr 2, 2012
    Yuma, Az
    The only difference between the padded and non padded would be that the padded will protect against bangs and stuff like that right? I know I'm gonna be rubbing the cabinet's back side against the truck/stage when I'm picking it up so I'm looking for a cover that can protect against that. I'm not planning on dropping it or anything similar lol just the occasional (but rare) hit when I brake too hard and the cabinet hits my trunk :(

11. bassman2011

bassman2011

Aug 25, 2011
    Go to amplifiercovers.com. They have already made and custom made covers for most amps. Usual price without any bells and whistles is approx. $50.00. I used them many times.

12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Padded cover. Maybe Tuki or Mouradian.

13. I've been playing thru the same Eden WT800 with 2 Eden XLT4x10 cabs literally every weekend since '96-'97. And, guess what? Everything literally looks like it did the day I purchased it. How? Calzone Road Cases. My road cases look beat all to hell and back. Stickers, scuffs, scratches, gouges, etc. I purchased those when I purchased my rig, around 17 years ago. It would've been my rig taking all that wear 'n tear without those cases. Investing in some good-quality road cases nowadays is a whole lot cheaper than back in the day when I made my purchase. It may be a little bit heavier and bulkier. But, you'll be protecting your investment, and you'll have wheels!!

14. Not yet

Not yet

Mar 26, 2012
    Been very happy with D2F covers... Can make for any cabinet

15. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    All these cover makers will make you a cover for any cab if you provide accurate measurements. And they should all have the Neo 412 listed. If not, ask them.

16. bassmanbiff

bassmanbiff

Apr 3, 2008
    I don't think it's a good idea to put the cab with the drivers up. Too many opportunities for them to be wind-driven or otherwise subject to incidental forces.

I always place my cabinets face down.

17. Chico16

Chico16

Apr 2, 2012
    Yuma, Az
    Alright I've found a D2F on eBay and also one from StudioSlip. The D2F looks good, is that as reliable as a Tuki? Never used one from any that's why I ask..

18. Chico16

Chico16

Apr 2, 2012
    Yuma, Az
    I always loaded my Behringer 4x10 face up and never had any issues. I wouldn't put it face down due to fear of damaging the front. Is the risk really big? If so, once I get a padded case I'll put the cab face down. Although I'd be more comfortable placing it face up.

19. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    With a cover it doesn't matter so much.