Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

keeping things fresh

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by PinkBullets, Feb 22, 2005.

1. PinkBullets

PinkBullets

Feb 20, 2005
    Kalamazoo, MI
    I was wondering if anybody out there had any "fun" ways to keep bass playing exciting. I've read through the faq and tried most of the suggested excercises, but latley i've been having trouble picking up the bass.

When i play the drums i can throw some headphones on and thats always a lot of fun, even if i'm playing simple beats.

My thought was, duh, plug the bass in and throw on some headphones. Problem is i blew out my practice amp, so right now i'm ampless. I'm considering buying a head and a 210 (which seems to be a confusing task in itself with all the choices) and hoping that with an amp with a little power it would bring the fun back into playing. I was also thinking of trying to learn how to tap/slap (which sounds and looks fun), but basic excrecises i do without an amp sound less then inspiring and I always find myself playing Doom 3 or World of Warcraft.

So i guess my question is pretty open ended ~ Is there anything you guys do thats a little out of the ordinary thats pretty fun that'll keep me drawn in? ~ Could this problem i'm having be relating to the fact i have no way to hear what im playing unless the room is silent?

Anyway i realize half of this can only be figured out on my own, but i figure i'd throw it out there and see what you guys think.
    I *THINK* that if i had an amp and i could plug in and improvise i'd have a lot more fun, of course everything i *think* will help with anything tends to cost money.

I've been reading these forums for a long time, just haven't really had any need to post until now. Thanks in advance.

:ninja: :ninja: :ninja: <- for fun

2. well, when I am practicing I like to get up and sing/play to the music, really get into it. Even if you dont know the song, just ride the E string or play the beat highs and lows etc. Really makes me look forward to playing. Then again I have a mic and everything set up in my bedroom, so I'm good to go.

3. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Working on the slap/pop and tap is a good idea while you're ampless. You dont need amplification to hear whats going on with those styles. At least IMO/IME you don't. You can focus on the techniques involved in each and when you get an amp you'll then be able to hear how good you've gotten on it.

FWIW, I spent the first 3 years of my playing bass without an amp and it worked out just fine. It gave me the time I needed to hone technique.

Also, to make things a lil more fun put on different types of music that you don't normally listen to and try to emulate some of what you are hearing in there.

4. PinkBullets

PinkBullets

Feb 20, 2005
    Kalamazoo, MI
    I guess that does make some sense to me cass, i think it might be time to get a teacher to help give me some direction. If i'm going to learn these new techs i'd rather learn them right and not waste my time.

Also do you reccomend any genras/bands to listen to that might "broaden" my bass horizon? I generally stick to the independent/rock bands and being sheltered musically of my life i'm pretty oblivious to anything pre 97 (save some of the more influential bands).

5. bass samurai

bass samurai Guest

Jul 7, 2003
    Try jamming with the radio & randomly turn the station to see if you can adapt to different styles. It's a great ear-training exercise.

6. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I forgot to mention this in my last post.

Sometimes the best way to keep things fresh is to simply put the bass down for a few days/weeks/months and return to it when you're ready.