1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ken Smith Strings For Non-Ken Smith Bass

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by EZ9R, Apr 30, 2010.

1. EZ9R

EZ9R

Oct 28, 2008
    Curious if anyone uses Ken Smith strings that play other brand basses? I put them on my Jazz and they have a good punch. The Non-Tapered. I have a Ken Smith BSR5 and used different brands. The only minor flaw is the bass came with the bridge grooves cut for tapered strings. But, I've used non-tapered on the Smith with no problem. To me, the non-tapered sound brighter. Maybe that's me.

2. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    I use them on a few of my basses, and like them a lot. I'm a big fan of the compressorwounds.

3. funkytoe

funkytoe Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Northern California
    I love their short scale set. Perfect match for my Gibson SG bass.

4. Terrific strings. I've used them on a number of basses over the years. These days they fill more of a back-up role to a few primary sets (MTD & DR), but I've never been disappointed in them.

5. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    I tried and used them for awhile back in the 80's. On Washburns and BC Rich's. But I soon started getting package after package with allready dull sounding E 0r A string. So I stopped buying them for what to me was poor QC. When I got a good package I liked them about as much as Rotosounds. But they was a bit cheaper cost wise.

6. bass12

bass12 Say "Ahhh"... Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    I think Ken Smith is a jerk but I like his strings quite a lot.

Sullivan likes this.
  7. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Funny, Jerry, I'm in the same place (though with Zon, DR, and Dunlop). The Smith compressors are still #1 on 2 of my basses, and would go higher if they made a .130 B string...

8. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    Yeah, I like everything about the Compressors except the B. It's not bad, but its not great like the rest of the strings either.

9. emblymouse

emblymouse exempt Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    I use Slick Rounds on my Jazz. A nice thick sound with some life to it. Tried them on my 5'er too, same good tone but I'm back to rounds there for other reasons. Priced right and they last me a long time.

10. Scarrsese

Scarrsese

Nov 19, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    +1 on the slick rounds. They just weren't that fantastic on a jazz bass I had them on. I little too grabby. They feel so much like steel its hard to believe they are marketed as nickel.

11. Love 'em to death. I've been using the Burners almost exclusively for two years with only exception being my Sandberg and Schack fretless which both came with strings that sounded fantastic so I didn't bother changing them. They really seem to bring the life out in basses that sound like they need a lil' somethin' extra when strung up with other strings. I currently have a set of medium-lights on my Fender FMT Jazz and it sounds great. It was previously strung with some DR Stainless' (not sure which) and I hated the sound. My only complaint is that they aren't quite as bright as I would like but it's a by a minimal amount. I have recently decided to try out other strings and bought a set of Dunlops, DR Lo-Riders, and DR Sunbeams just to try. I guess we'll see if they knock the Ken Smith's from the top :).

I've also tried the Ken Smith Master Series (Slap Master, Rock Master, Metal Master; they're actually all the same strings with different gauges, the Metal Masters being the heaviest). They actually sound really good but they feel absolutely terrible. It's like trying to play with rubberbands, not in that they're low tension but the way they actually feel to your finger, like they're some sort of dust/film on it. The funny thing is that once they're finally worn in (which takes FOREVER), they're easily my favorite stainless steel string. I'm just not willing to wait that long, lol.

12. I've have a set of the Metal Masters on my Schecter 004 for about two months now, and I'm sold. Great tone, even after they've worn in. Kwesi mentions the feel of the strings, but mine didn't/don't feel like what he describes.

And Kwesi, I'll be happy to sell you mine when replacement time comes around for me, and with no upcharge for breaking them in for you either....:D...

13. Hehe, maybe I'm just too used to nickels :). I'd actually take you up on your offer but I've got 4-5 sets of strings to try/use so I think I'm stocked for a while, lol

14. DrSmaggs

DrSmaggs

Oct 15, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    Endorsing Artist:
    I've used the Ken Smith strings on my Sadowsky basses. Just like most other bass strings out there, I'm lucky to get a good sounding week or two using them around the home. They never survive more than two gigs.

I wish bass strings weren't so expensive, they don't last for the money.

15. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    I've used their stainless rounds and grounds. They're nice strings.