1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ken Smith used value?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by levonrocks, Mar 10, 2013.

1. levonrocks

levonrocks

Nov 21, 2012
    Easton, PA
    I'm looking to purchase a used 5 or 6 string bass, and I came across a few Ken Smith basses that caught my interest. One that I have been looking at is a BSR6 M with an Imbuya top. I've been searching the internet for a while to try and see what a good price is for used BSR6 M, but I haven't had much luck. The prices that they have sold for vary so much, and I don't really know what the going rate is.

The link below shows one of the basses I am looking at. It is listed at $2900.00, which seems high. However, it does have the ugraded Imbuya top.

http://www.bassspecialties.com/coll...cts/ken-smith-bsrm6-1998-imbuya-top-back-used

2. levonrocks

levonrocks

Nov 21, 2012
    Easton, PA
    To sum it up, I was just wondering if anybody knew what a good price for a used Ken Smith BSR6 M is.

3. check out Bass Central''s used bass section I think they have some.

4. bassWTZ

bassWTZ

Mar 11, 2013
    i like 6 strings because it have a balance of string and more tones .

5. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    The Imbuya top on that bass does nothing for me, but to each his own. $2,900 is on the high side for a used bolt-on Smith with a gig bag. Especially when you consider that if you kick in another grand, you'll be right around the price of a brand new one. If I were to look for the "right price" it would be in the $2,400 area.

6. levonrocks

levonrocks

Nov 21, 2012
    Easton, PA
    Thank you. That bass is on consignment, and it has been for sale time. I might see if I can talk them down.

7. Peavey Grind body wings used to be made from Imbuya. I had one and it was fantastic looking and found out it was an endangered species. Peavey had started running ads in BP magazine and it stated the wood was something other than Imbuya, and it sent me into Internet research mode.

Theres another thread here somewhere about some countries confiscating instruments that contained Brazilian rosewood. If you leave the country with the bass you want to purchase, you might not come home with it. That'd be horrible.

I'm slightly more reliable than Wikipedia, so take all that ^ with a grain of salt. And that grain is also suspect.:p

8. SRFSterling5

SRFSterling5

Sep 24, 2011
    Hawaii
    New prices for a similar bolt on are $4,400 and up based on the options and that's street pricing for a new one, and considering.the one you're looking at has the older electronics, $2,500 to $2,700 would be reasonable. You also have to remember that Smiths have a very unique voicing which may not be for everyone. Best if you can play one taking into consideration neck feel and tone. Good Luck.

9. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    That confiscating thing was speculation under a law called the "Lacey Act". Under that law, the US government "could" confiscate your vintage guitar. But the likelihood of that happening is pretty far fetched.

10. solo7x7

solo7x7

Jul 25, 2008
  11. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    "Head stock had some work done" - NEXT!

12. solo7x7

solo7x7

Jul 25, 2008
    Take a look at the back of the head and you'll see a blonde stripe at the C string tuning peg. That's all that was done. It has not affected the function or the tone of the bass.

13. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    * Edit - I just realized you already bought it. Sorry, thought you were looking for opinions on value. Never mind....

14. solo7x7

solo7x7

Jul 25, 2008
    No harm done. I'm actually glad you responded. You have some really good posts. Very informative.

15. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    $3000