Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Keni Burke ?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by lo lio, Jun 15, 2004.

1. lo lio

lo lio

Apr 10, 2003
    FRANCE 78930
    Hello,
    i'm looking for informations on Keni Burke, vidéo or tabs. Thanks. lionel.

2. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    OMG, someone else who has heard of Keni! Keni can be heard on all Fivestairsteps recordinds (ohh child), invisable mans band, second ressurection (from us to you). He also can be heard on Linda Clifford's "runaway love" and don't give it up" with Chester Thompson of Tower of power fame. He recorded two solo albums, one with the song "keep risin to the top" which in turn spawned the song "all night long" by the Mary Jane girls. He's also did alot of work with The Jones girls. As far as videos with Keni, look for older Stairsteps footage.

On a side note, Keni was one of the best bassplayers after Larry to thump and pop. Iv'e seen him alot in the early 70's and late 60's and it was a strong part of his approach. Keni moved from Chicago to California in the early 70's in order to be closer to Larry (Stairsteps changed their style to black rock like Sly). There is where he picked up the style from Larry. The big difference with Keni's thumpin and poppin was doing it in different keys when larry mostly did it in the key of "E" or "G". As far as tabs just look for any tunes named above.

3. lo lio

lo lio

Apr 10, 2003
    FRANCE 78930
    Thanks,
    Do you know if Keni Burke plays on the song Victory of Curtis Mayfield ? i like this style of playing.

4. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
  5. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    Some of Keni's best work was with Ramsey Lewis,and D J Rogers "Live"

6. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Keni Burke put out a great solo album during the early 1980's. It kind of had a Michael Henderson smooth soul approach with Keni singing lots of great vocals. The bass parts weren't dominant, but they are definitely worth learning in my opinion. I wish I could remember the name of that album.

7. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Keep rising to the top was the hit song, Changes and your the best are the names of the album's. I happen to own both!

8. msladysoul

msladysoul

Nov 1, 2004
    I'm glad to see a discussion on Keni Burke.
    I enjoy his work with his sibling group the five stairsteps and his solo work alone. The Burke family is a talented group of people who contributed plenty but don't get the recognition they deserve. I made a fan club at yahoo for the five stairsteps which also includes fans of keni burke if you would like to join, here's the link.
    http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/thefivestairsteps/

I also made a website to show my love and honor for the burkes.
    http://www.angelfire.com/stars5/thefivestairsteps

alicia- msladysoul@aol.com

9. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Welcolme to talkbass msladysoul,
    I thank you for the links to one of my favorite groups I ever had the chance to see and experience. I was lucky to see this group early in their career here in New York at the world famous Apollo theatre. I saw them everytime they came! I saw the transition from singers to musicians, from smoth ballards to rock (songs like vice the lights, dear prudence). I could go on and on about this group. Again thanks for the memories and pictures, your the best (pun intended!)

10. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    One of the best R&B joints of all time! BTW, the bassline in the Invisible Man Band's "All Night Thing" is still one of my faves.

11. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I just picked up a Japanese import CD of Keni Burke's "Changes" this evening! It was expensive, but I'm really excited to have found an old favorite.

12. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I was playing some of my old vinyl tonight and put on Sly's 'Back On The Right Track', what a forgotten funk jem this album was, mostly from Keni's playing!

13. T-MOST

T-MOST

Dec 10, 2004
    NJ via NYC
    There are several YouTube clips on Keni Burke and the bands he played in.