Ken's LDS 3x8

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Ric Vice, Oct 11, 2005.

1. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Last Thursday I was fortunate enough to use Ken's LDS 3x8 on a gig here in St. Louis. Ken's cabinet has 3 B&C *" Neo Drivers with a Selinium Tweeter. As I'm currently not in my studio, I'll post pictures later along with the dimensions and weight.

For this particular gig my usual rig is an EA VL 110 and my trusty Walter Woods Ultra. I just used the LDS 3x8 with the Woods driving the cabinet instead. I have an early 1900's Mirecourt Bass
    with a Realist as the pickup.

What I noticed immediately was the wonderful tight low-end response that this cabinet produces. It's very articulate all the way down to the open E String. Notes in the lower range of the instrument are better defined regardless of the tempo you are playing. Moving from the low end to the mid register of the instrument is effortless because the B&C neo drivers handle midrange so well.
    I have to say that Don really knows his stuff when it comes to voicing a cabinet. The sound from the cabinet was very close to the sound of my instrument unamplified.

I have yet to hear any cabinet including Ken's EA VL 210 that sounds this good with a Contrabass. Since this particular cab was built with specs that tend to favor Electric Bass, so it's important to note that a midrange driver and a soft dome tweeter would be needed to get a optimal sound on an upright.

PS: I do not work for LDS
  2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Good news! Do we have another LDS convert, here? :D
  3. I agree with the review since I had the pleasure of sitting in the audience to hear Ric swinging away. The rig really sounded good, but as Ric mentioned, probably will be improved in the upper register by replacing the 3rd 8" driver with a midrange, and installing a more mellow and natural sounding tweeter.... which I believe is the exact cab that Don is making for Ric! Very cool.

Now give me back my cab :D