Kent Armstrong Pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by DeaconJohn, Jul 28, 2005.

1. DeaconJohn

Jul 28, 2005

I have bought a Jazz bass copy from eBay (a risk I know) that supposidly has Kent Armstrong pickups fitted to it. Is there any way for me to tell if the pickups definatley ARE Kent Armstrong's?

2. go to the Kentarmstrong site...
    see if any of their jazz pups look like yours...
    measure the resistance of your pups and see if that is consistant with their specs...

since their jazz pups don't say "Kent Armstrong" on the cover, I wouldn't know where else to take it, except maybe remove them and see if there is any sort of identifyer on the back.

but if the pups sound good, does it even matter?
  3. Sparkie

Nov 15, 2004
    Would it matter if you like the tone of them?
  4. ted13

Mar 12, 2004
    montreal quebec
    kent armstrong pickups use a wierd modern vintage cloth covred wire. it's more of plasticy covered silk wire than a wax covered cloth with a good way to tell is check the pickup leads they will be as described and the white lead will be WHITE not off off white or cream like a regular cloth covered wire.
  5. DeaconJohn

Jul 28, 2005
    Well I finally got round to getting the screwdriver out and using my extensive bass knowledge I was able to deduce that these are indeed kent armstrong pickups.

How was I able to come to this conclusion?

Behind the pickup was a sticker saying "Designed by Kent Armstrong". Should have looked there before posting here shouldnt I! :rolleyes:

Anyway the pickups on the bass are these ones:

Not bad, they are worth £64, and I paid less than that for the bass! :cool:

It also has schaller tuners fitted, which as far as I know are good quality tuners. Although I will be replacing them with ones that look more fender-ish.