Kill switch... Yes or no?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Claymore, Dec 4, 2019.

1. Claymore

Claymore

Nov 10, 2019
    Rhode Island
    Can anyone think of a reason why I shouldn't replace my volume pot with a push/pull killswitch on one of the other pots? Are there loud audible pops or anything when I engage it or disengage? I have a 3 knob Jazz Bass and I was entertaining the idea of doing an ungrounded blend/tone/Q-filter configuration and having a killswitch on one of them to free up a knob where the volume was. I already have a spare concentric pot and I will do that if I have to but I might try to keep it as 3 normal knobs. I was wondering what you guys thought... Any reason that a killswich and no volume is a bad idea?
    Thanks in advance. :D

2. fermata

fermata

Nov 10, 2015
    The only minor--and easily fixable--issue you might encounter is a bit of extra treble from a change in the circuit's impedance.

I think you'll get close to the stock impedance if you use 250K pots for the tone and Q filter and a 500K M/N blend (two stacked 500K pots add up to 250K together). That simulates the three 250K pots the stock Jazz has. But because the blend is is ungrounded, it's not an exact match for what's being replaced. If there's too much extra treble (and there might not be!), just put a fixed resistor in parallel with the pickups to simulate another (grounded) open pot. (Something in the 250K-500K range should dull the extra treble.)

And if the kill switch is wired so the signal is shorted to ground (rather than just breaking the hot lead), it won't pop.

Sounds like a cool wiring scheme. Go for it!

downlowuponit, imabuddha and Claymore like this.
  3. Claymore

Claymore

Nov 10, 2019
    Rhode Island
    "if the kill switch is wired so the signal is shorted to ground (rather than just breaking the hot lead), it won't pop"...That advice was MONEY. I did not know that. Thanks, man! :thumbsup:

imabuddha and fermata like this.
  4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021