1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Killer City Guitars - Very Cool!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by LiquidMidnight, Nov 13, 2018.

1. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I know there was a little bit of discussion about these strings a while back, but nothing too in-depth. If you are not familiar, Killer City Guitars is a company on Amazon and now Reverb selling bass string sets at probably the lowest price I've ever seen.

I decided to give a set a whirl since I didn't have much to lose. I ordered a five-string set. I was excited when they arrived. But wait, there was an issue. The pack came with two E strings but no B. NOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

This stuff happens, and I've always worried about it occurring with the brands that have been around forever. I contacted the proprietor, William, about the issue and he responded right away, apologizing and saying he was sending a replacement out in the mail first thing the following morning. He also told me I could offer $1 on anything in his shop and he would honor it as well. I didn't take him up on that, but that was very cool. He actually sent two new sets and both have the B strings. I also had a new single bulk-bought B string lying around, so I essentially got three new sets of strings.

So how are the strings? Overall, I dig them so far. They intonate very well, hold tune, have great output, and are very well tonally balanced. Prosteels are my go-to roundwounds. The KCG aren't quite that bright, but they have a good amount of zing and articulation. I'd probably put them somewhere between Ernie Ball Slinkies and DR Sunbeams: A bit brighter than the former and a little mellower than that latter. I think I'll be using the bass I strung up later this weekend for a one-set gig. It will be nice to see how long these strings hold tone; even if it's average compared to the big brands, it's a pure winner.

William and KCG are still pretty new on the scene. He appears to be expanding with some different gauge options. I don't know what he has in store, but it would really be cool to see the lineup get expanded to flats and 35" scale offerings!

rodl2005 likes this.
  2. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Got the gig report...

I played a one-set benefit gig this afternoon. My very good friend, also a bass player, is the primary organizer. I had strung up my Gibson Thunderbird Studio 5. I used my friend's rig: A TC Electronic head with some onboard tone print compression through a K-212. He had his VT pedal, which I used for a little bit of color. The KCG strings really delivered. The material was mostly modern and 90s country. The strings were warm but articulate and felt great. My friend said that my tone through FOH had a lot of great lows and was fat but still with a lot of note definition.

Next bass I string up with a set will probably be an active, modern-voiced instrument. I'm thinking my Carvin Icon.

D'Addario Prosteels are my go-to string, but so far the KCG strings hang with a lot of strings I've tried that are three times the price. Check 'em out.

Killer City Guitars

3. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    Interesting. Would love to hear more about the strings from other Talkbass members.

4. Bassin4God

Bassin4God

Jul 27, 2015
    I just pulled the trigger on a set of the 5 strings, I will let you know what I think.

5. Bassin4God

Bassin4God

Jul 27, 2015
    Well I received my strings from Killer City Guitars today I ordered the Medium 5's gauges .45-.125. Initial impression was how well they were packaged, I'm impressed by that from the beginning. They feel about as smooth as D'Addario XL Nickels which is good for me because that's pretty much what I use. I put them on my Squier Vintage Modified 5 string replacing a set of DR Pure Blues that also has been a part of my string searching quest. I find that before I actually plugged into my amp they seemed bright maybe even a bit clanky but then I'm plugged in then they kind of have a more mellow sound to them but still bright and articulate. I did notice that the output is not as high as the DR Pure Blues. I changed one string at at time so I noticed the difference, not a deal breaker for me but maybe for some. The strings sound even across all strings and feel comfortable. I will check in after a couple hours, days of playing to see if any of my opinions change. I have church on Sunday so I'll see how they hold up. If initial impression continues in this direction I will be ordering more of these strings.

6. Marko 1

Marko 1

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    They're all round-core, not sure that would work for me; I like a stiffer string for low-action and the B string. In any case, I'll be following the thread. :)

7. 5Bass5

5Bass5

Apr 13, 2011
    NJ
    I was attracted to these because of the price, of course. Bought I normally prefer DR Hi-Beams, and while the KCG strings definitely aren't as good I think they work well for $7.

In comparison to the DRs, I think the KCG strings are a bit less bright. I'm not an expert on strings unfortunately.

8. Greg Waldon

Greg Waldon

Aug 22, 2017
    Mississippi
    None
    I got 2 sets off of reverb $14.00. I put the first set on a pawn shop special Squier Affinity PJ. They tuned up fine. Intonation is great. They hold tune as good or better than any of the strings I have used before. I put the second set on a Sterling Sub4. The A string snapped before it even remotely got close to in tune. The other strings would not hold tune more overnight. Intonation was out the window. Went back with a set of EB regular Slinkys and things are copacetic once again.

After using the first set, I knew I had found my new go to strings. With this second set I would be hesitant to use the again. I did email them through their reverb page but I haven’t heard anything from them. Really disappointing. When these strings came in, there was a note in the envelope that said if anything was wrong with the strings to contact them and they would make it good because they wanted satisfied customers. Probably stick to “tried and true” strings that have always given me good service.