1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Killswitch!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by santucci218, Apr 22, 2010.

1. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    :mad:

I spent 10 dollars on this damn killswitch from radio shack for my guitar, and it broke as im putting it on my pickguard. It is built out of horrid cheap plastic and this is the second one i had that broke. the first one i superglued, and it worked, and this one will too if i glue it, but its so annoying! does anyone know of a company that sells metal ones? or ones not so cheap?

Heres the one i got.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062501&CAWELAID=107594921

2. testing1two

testing1two Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    It will take some digging but you'll find lots to choose from here:

http://mouser.com/

3. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    ill call them now. It amazes me that a company can sell such **** and get away with it! :mad:

Not only that! but i paid 2.99 and 8 dollars shipping, and i go on radioshacks site today and its 2.69 and free shipping! i seriously want to find Mr. Shack and give him a good beatin.

4. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    I wouldn't have bothered with the first plastic one, much less a second. Mouser is a great place.

BTW, why do you want a momentary switch?

5. cliffbass1

cliffbass1

Jun 1, 2003
    Minnesota
  6. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    nah, the toggle is no good. I use it in my guitar for buckethead type tremolo.

I just want a nice one that is sturdy. Mouser seems nice, but they dont seem to have what im looking for. I'll call them tomorrow.

7. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
  8. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    yeah, they sell that one at radioshack too, its just the wrong size, and its just as cheap as my current one. plus, it doesnt lay flush with the pickguard. it sticks out on that tiny plastic pole. its begging to be broken.

line6man, do you know any quality ones? or know anywhere that makes custom switches? haha. seriously, i dont care. ill wait till i get paid and buy a nice one.

9. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
  10. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    man, that one looks like my dream switch...but its too big. its about 3 times the size of my current one. for reference, the top of mine is 3/8th an inch across, and its a square. so about the end of my finger. that one is just too big. nice construction though!

11. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    and looking again, that one is Double Pull Double Throw. I really only need Single Pull Single Throw...I guess i could wire it to do the same thing though...right?

12. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Dangit. I am not doing well at this game. I believe that that same company, NKK switches, has something that will work, though. I saw something very small, but passed over it when I went back to look for flushness, and got to this one first. Let me give you the link, I have to go catch some zs. And also, there's no reason you can't just ignore the second throw/pole on a DPDT, it will work just as well. Their data sheets have full-size pictures.

http://www.nkkswitches.com/PushButton-Switches/

13. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    im going to call them in the morning and see what they suggest. Ill report back. Thank you!

14. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    Here is bucketheads most current switch...

[​IMG]

Pretty much like an arcade switch, but it does SPST Momentary style. N.O. Circut. I cant find them anywhere though, and i cant imagine how to cut the hole in me pickguard for it.

15. Not off hand, sorry.

16. calebbarton

calebbarton

Aug 25, 2007
    Oregon
    I manufacture for several companies including but not limited to: Bridge City Sound, Catalinbread, more.
  17. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

You can use a DPDT (double pole double throw) switch - just use one half of it. In fact I aways use double pole switches and use BOTH poles so you have a second contact when the first one fails down the road.

For using the DPDT just wire from the center to one side - ignore the other side and it is fine.

18. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    Wow! I just woke up and checked out this thread. Looks like i have a lot of options. I'll make some phone calls today. I really dig the second one that testing1two posted. Its like the buckethead one, but with a metal frame, which is nice. The actual buckethead one, while looking sturdy, is still plastic and that scares me.

also, some of those switchcraft ones dont look too bad! Wonder which i should get.