Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

KneeBee

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jean Baudin, May 19, 2005.

1. Jean Baudin

Jean Baudin

Aug 27, 2003
    redwood city, ca
    Endorsing Artist: See Profile
    Specs:
    - 9-string Bee Bass
    - Modified Worker Bodystyle
    - Black Limba Body and headstock lam
    - Acrylicized Bubinga Fretboard
    - Bloodwood/Ziricote/Maple Neck
    - Ziricote Headstock
    - Multi-scale: 33" - 28"
    - 15" MM Spacing (my preference)
    - Tuning: Low B - High Eb
    - Nordstrand MM-style Pickup
    - Hipshot Tuners
    - Bee Pre (Volume, Bass +/-, Mid +/-, Treble +/-)
    - Sexy THG Knobs

Pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Some words:

Fred did a great job on this bass and I thank him for redesigning his bodystyle for me (I usually record/practice/rehearse sitting down and a normal bee won't sit on my lap). We nicknamed this the KneeBee from the start and I'm sure Fred will offer it as option in the future for those who want a more "lap-friendly" Bee bass.

As for the construction, this bass plays wonderfully and with a very thin neck. Overall, the tone is a bit more bright than my Conklins (could be due to the new strings) and has a variety of tones with the Bee Pre. Not sure what the tonal difference is between Bee's standard Pickup (Delano) and the Nordstrand but I have no reason to complain. The shorter multi-scale (borrowed from Gregory Campbell) and higher string (I usually have a low F# on my 9-strings) gives this bass a more g*uitar-like feel which will be a fun change of pace.

The woods (supplied by Larry Davis from Gallery Hardwoods) are considerably more spectacular looking ( :eek: ) than I'm capable of photographing. These woods just look amazing together... Fred's basses are designed to be utilitarian in nature - however, much to Fred's chagrin this one is bordering on a "work of art". And he whipped it out in only 4 months! Thanks Fred it was a real pleasure. Carey Nordstrand and Roger at THG also need to be thanked for supplying their pieces so quickly.

Sound samples will be available on my upcoming solo cd. :D

2. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    Love the bubinga on that fretboard!

3. Incredible bass, Jean. Really cool and different from a normal BEE.

Looking forward to hearing it on the solo CD!!

Great work Fred, Carey and Roger.

4. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    Great looking bass!! :cool:

5. Another one of your basses I wish I owned, congratulations. It is absolutely stunning. Can't wait to see the others as well.

6. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    Amazing!

:D

7. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    I like the looks of that better than any other Bee. It just looks to be a more comfortable player sitting. The lower horn on other Bee's look like they would kill your knee.

Sweet bass! Congratulations.

8. Congrats ! :bassist: Your bass collection keeps getting better...

9. teacherguy

teacherguy

Feb 21, 2004
    Cincinnati, OH
    Absolutely incredible!
    I must say, I wasn't a fan of the extended lower horn when I saw the progress pics, (although, it is clear why you asked for that modification), but now that I see it completed, I think it turned out GREAT!

I see you went with the zero fret-no nut set up like Stew's bass! Very interesting!!

Does it feel and balance the way you had hoped? (I probably already know the answer to that).
    Enjoy!

Jon

10. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Thats awesome Jean, I really dig the neck combos and the fingerboard. Plus Ive always liked Black Limba. Congratz on getting one of your many in waiting :)

11. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

Wow! Pretty incredible. One thing that caught my eye is that there is a piece of neck wood for each string. Have fun with it!

12. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    Those are some extreamly nice woods. The fretboard and back of the neck are outstanding. Once you have all your basses, please post them all. I keep forgetting which monsters are yours :smug:

13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Wow, Jean. That thing is wild!:cool:[​IMG]

14. SharkB8

SharkB8

May 29, 2002
    NorCal
    Very nice. That bass looks like a monster. Big props to Fred! I'm glad yours is done....now he can think about mine... :p

15. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    That's incredible Jean!! Another work of art!!

16. Do you have any more pics of the back of the neck? It looks absolutely stunning, as does the rest of the bass.

17. Nice bass! I love the wood combos. Can't wait to hear it!

18. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Jean ... really, just stunning looking :bassist: Congrats!

Body woods are fantastic, fretboard absolutely beautiful :cool: and, of course, cool knobs!

19. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    That one awesome-looking bass-and probably the first short-scale nine-string.

20. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    The horns remind me of Life In Hell...

[​IMG]

I knew they looked familar. Cool bass!