1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Kolstein Rosin

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by King Chris, Mar 12, 2008.

1. I recently switched to the kolstein rosin. I was playing carlsons, after a long stint with pops(i started on it and didn't want to switch), but was told to try kolstein by Chris Brown. I got the soft, not knowing any better.
    At first I loved the sound, though my bow still had a plethura of carlsons on it. I eventually got a rehair and since then, can't make up my mind on it. It doesn't seem to work into the hair and now is starting to feel weird. I think it may be because I am so used to having rosins with lots of powder. I loved the attack at first though now it seems like it doesn't have enough and I'm wondering if I've over rosined and for some reason with ks soft, the rosin doesn't stick more but becomes much less effective:confused:?
    Also, after the long intro, I'm wondering if I get the all weather, will it keep a consistent sound and just get a little more powdery, which I think is what I'm looking for, or will the sound change? is the all weather just a way of saying medium or is the composition really that different?
    just wondering if someone out there has a little more experience with the rosin because I love the sound, though I'm becoming very disillusioned with it because of the soft being hard to get on the bow and then not retaining the stickiness.
    Chris-:help:

2. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    I love Kolstein soft. It allows me to relax my hand and let the bow do the work.

3. bribass

bribass

Jan 25, 2006
    Northern NJ
    Endorsing Artist; Arnold Schnitzer/ Wil DeSola New Standard RN DB
    Don't you guys find that KS soft gunks up the hair?

I used to use it awhile back and after some months it ruined the hair. Became clumped together, dirty and unusable. Had to get a rehair and then went back to Carlsson.

Just my experience w/ it.

BG

4. E.O.M.

E.O.M.

Dec 7, 2001
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I've been using Kolstein soft for years without a problem. It only takes one or two swipes for a full length concert. You say it's hard to get onto the hair? That makes me curious because I feel my Kolstein soft gets onto the hair before I even take it out of the container. It's never ruined my hair either.

Previously I've used Pops and Carlson's. Pops was scratchy and unresponsive, and Carlson's was too powdery and not sticky enough for orchestral repertoire.

I think one time I accidentally got the All-Weather instead of the Soft, but I couldn't really tell the difference. It could be worth a try for you though.

5. dchan

dchan

Nov 19, 2005
    Bethlehem, PA
    I think that would probably happen if you swipe it too many times or use too much force to swipe it. IME, a couple of nice and easy swipes are enough for me to get through a 3-hour rehearsal. Also, it really helps to refrigerate it; it melts like crazy during summers.

6. yeah, when I first used it after my rehair, I got the new hair all gunked up, but I'm certain I was trying to get about ten pounds of it on the bow (maybe a little over excited). It got huge chuncks on there but I just took a comb to it for a few hours and spread it around pretty well. I haven't put any on for a day or so and it's starting to feel better, though I think I am going to try out the all weather. Won't know how that's gonna go for a week or two, I cracked my awesome new bass and now the tops off and glue is shooting everywhere. :crying: I guess when they turn 150, they just aren't as sturdy as the plywoods I've always played on.:scowl:

7. LJFryk

LJFryk

Oct 3, 2012
    Haven't used Kolsteins before, just coming here to get some questions answered without starting a new thread.

So, Chicago is ridiculously humid. I've been using Pop's for a while and was considering Kolstein's. Should I go with the hard or all weather? I feel the soft would be too sticky for the summer here.

8. Ah, you can tell there is a major change in the seasons when the rosin question comes to the front again! I have been using Kolstein soft for some time now with great success but like any rosin, it has its applications. I would assume you are getting warmer temps in Minnesota right now just as we are up here in the North. Right now, the Kolstein Soft is in the fridge and the Carlsson and Kolstein All Weather are back in the rotation. With warm weather, you are better-off going with a harder rosin.
    Kolstein All Weather is a good choice too. I find it has about the same consistency in the warmer temps as the soft has in the winter. Going too soft even when it's mildly warm just results in a waxy bow and you end-up applying too much and gunking up the hair. It took a couple of rehairs a while ago to get this one down.

9. I used Kolstein premium last concert season and like it quite a bit. Of course living in Florida, the humidity never drops below 50% and not too many cold nights.

10. Premium...that's one I don't know. Is that the All Weather?

11. The label on the lid of the carton reads Kolstein Ultra. The grade is hard to read but I believe it is in fact A W

12. Lee Moses

Lee Moses

Apr 2, 2013
    Tennessee
    I could be wrong, but I believe all Kolstein bass rosin says "Kolstein Ultra." The differences are found in whether it is soft, all-weather, or hard.

13. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Are season changes significant when most environments you play in i.e. concerts are temperature controlled?

14. MikeCanada

MikeCanada

Aug 30, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    From what I've gathered, season changes can still be an issue. A lot of environments are temperature controlled to a much closer tolerance than they are humidity controlled. "Room temperature" is occasionally debated and some feathers are ruffled, but just about everywhere that range is from about 65-75°F or 18-24°C. In a lot of cases, that range is far narrower. Some of us prefer things on one side or the other, but we're talking a few degrees most of the time.

Humidity on the other hand is rarely monitored in most environments. Unless you have a particularly damp basement or someone has a cold, (de)humidifiers are fairly rare in homes without instruments or other sensitive possessions in them. A lot of public spaces such as schools and concert halls will actively try to keep humidity as low as possible, as they believe that it is a cause for mould and health problems. You could be playing in an environment that is 20° year round but the humidity fluctuates significantly, and if that is the case you will likely notice it in how your rosin performs.

There are also situations where we play in environments that are less than ideally climate controlled. I have played in old churches in January that are freezing with absolutely no humidity, and even the softest of rosins seem rock hard in those environments. Likewise, I have played outdoor weddings where I use Salchow & Sons which is intended as an upper strings rosin, because my case of Pops is the same consistency as honey. Even if you only do one of either a year, you could end up in a (not) sticky situation.

DC Bass likes this.
  15. That's true. Say, the difference between kolstein soft and aw to me is that you can't use soft grade in summer. They both are ok for winter but when it gets hot kolstein soft really melts. I heard that they produce a cake with aw grade on one side and soft on the other. This might be for those who like mixing rosin on their bow rather than different humidity situations.

16. I've recently purchased several cakes of kolstein from a very nice Moscow based shop and all of them were dead. Kolstein claims their rosin has infinite shelf life but these ones already look like several years old and leave a lot of powder on the bass and the strings. I also noticed some change in the rubber cover, but I'm not sure if that matters at all. What this is, some new formula or a kind of old stock dry, I've no idea. My older cake of kolstein AW is actually stickier and less powdery than a new one.

luisraulmunoz likes this.
  17. Justin K-ski

Justin K-ski

May 13, 2005
    Honestly it seems like quality control is not something that happens to Kolstein rosin. It's really too bad because it can be really excellent rosin when you're lucky. Also sometimes the top layer is crappy and dry but once you get a few swipes in things start to get going.

18. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    That's too bad. I've only ever used the one cake of Kolstein Ultra I have now and like it quite a bit. Not experiencing any of the excessive powdering others have. I wonder if it doesn't keep better in a damp climate like the PacNW?