Korg Kaoss Pads

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by heath_the_great, Aug 15, 2005.

1. umm alright, ive had a quick look over these, the Kp2 to be specific and i was wondering, is it possible to use this as an effects unit for bass/guitar, i mean, the idea im getting from it, it has some envelope filters and you control them by the touch pad...and also use it as a loop sampler

has anyone got one or used one?

2. I use a KP2 right after my loopstation. You can get some pretty wild stuff out of them and they are an attention getter as well. Particularly on a dark stage. I find myself creating a loop then using the kaos pad to alter it. Then resample the altered loop with the built in sampler function of the kaos pad.A ton of fun.It does not store the samples after you turn the power off though.

Another thing you can do is find a setting you like(say a reverb) keep your finger on the pad then press the "hold" button. Then save that setting to one of the presets. Now whenever you want to recall that setting its in the units memory.

I went to radioshack and got two adapters (1/4 inch mono plug to two female RCA jacks). I use standard RCA cables to connect the Kaos to my f/x and amp.If you have anymore questions let me know and Ill do my best to answer them for you.

Alesis also has a similar unit called the AIR FX (I think)Kind of the same thing except instead of a pad it uses an infra red beam.When your hand comes close to the sensor it changes the parameters of the fx.Could be pretty cool !
  3. say i attached it in my effects chain...which is nothing at the moment :D ...could i select say a fuzz preset and then while playing , if i had it attached to my mic stand, run my finger along the pad and fuzz up my tone while playing...or use my foot :D
  4. I would love to try a kaoss pad on bass could be very cool indeed, possibly hard to operate whilst playing though?

That could be pretty cool for a singer, crazy hand movements etc!
  5. i might try and see if my local has a kaoss pad...id only use the distortion on it like rhonda smith does with prince at the end of runs or fills
  6. Yeah. You got it .
  7. dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004

i have some!

1st: when you choose an effect form the 00-99 list, you have only 2 parameters to change in each effect? are they 1 in the vertical axis and the other in the horizontal axis?

so when you choose a number the parameters start in 0-0?

also, can you record a sample ( 2 with 6 seg each?) and leave it recorded on the unit? or they are erased when you turn off the unit?

does it has drum machines in? can you use them at the same time you are using effects?

are the synths effects that alter the input signal? or are they real synths? so how ho you control them?

8. Alright. I will try and answer these for you.Unfortunatly Im in the middle of a move right now and my KAOS is in storage. This thread has made me want to go get it out and play with it !
    O.K. here it goes.
    1.Yes and yes. You can get a setting you like and the use the hold feature . This acts like your finger never leaves the spot you touched last. then if you save that setting whenever you return to it. It starts with the hold "on" at the same spot. Also when your finger is in contact with the pad the display shows your location on the pad with a number. So its easy to get back to a certain spot you like.

2.No. Unfortunatly the unit does not store samples.You lose them when you turn off the power It will keep your f/x presets though.

3.It does not have a drum maching feature.It does have a few settings that are drum sounds though. You touch the pad and it plays a techno beat.Every corner plays a varient of the beat.You could use the "hold " feature and keep these beats going but they are pretty annoying. I rarely use them.

4. The synth effects do not alter the input signal.They are controlled by the pad movements for instance one axis would be pitch the other modulation.

Also it shows an F/X list of 00-99 . But 85-89 are for use with a mic only. And 90-99 are presets used with samples only. Here is a link to the Korg website.You can down load the owners manual from the support link and on page 13 youll find a full f/x list and how the parameters are controlled by the pad.
    Korgs KAOSS Pad Webpage
  9. dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004

ok! thancks for all the answers!

one more question....

are the effects good quality??? how about noise???
  10. For the quality of the f/x .I dont know. There is not really much out there I could compare it to. Try and get your hands on one. Give it a listen for yourself. The music shop person may give you a funny look when you bring them a bass to hook up to it. But what do they know ! :D

I have not noticed any noise added to my chain. Although its probably not the cleanest specimen to begin with.
    ODB->g5->qtron->whammy->whammy-> loopstation->Kaoss pad
    They are designed for DJ use so i would imagine they try to keep the noise level to a minimum.
  11. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Guitarist for the band Fuel, Carl Bell, uses one on his pedal board, mostly for between-song noise, but he's said he loves it. He uses a small rubber ball like you get from the $.25 machines at the grocery store, and rolls it around on the pad with his foot to control it.
  12. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Steve Lawson uses one in his rig. He swears by it.