Korg rackmount tuner decision

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by JTGale, Jan 12, 2005.

1. JTGale

Oct 26, 2004
    Hummelstown, PA
    I have had a Sabine tuner in my rack for years now and I am finally fed up with it. It just takes too long to register and is hard to tell from any distance what note it is trying to register. So, it is a shoppin' I go! :D

I have been looking at the Korg rack tuners for a while now and am wondering if anybody has any thoughts as to which model they have and why they prefer it. I like the idea of being able to see which note is registering from a distance and Korgs, in general, are pretty good products.

Should I go DTR-1000 or consider the DTR-2000? I have a rack light on my Furman and don't necessarily need that function. So is the DTR-2000 worth it over just that?

Any help with this decision is greatly appreciated!
  2. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I like the DTR-200 and i think its a much better tuner. IT does a bunch of things that the 1000 doesnt do (that you can find out about in the manual), and its also painfully accurate.
  3. JTGale

Oct 26, 2004
    Hummelstown, PA
    Thanks, Toasted. When you say "painfully accurate" does that mean it is a pain to use or that it just shows how minute you can slip in and out of tune quickly?
  4. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I mean that the DTR-2000 is really really accurate, and you have to be very careful when turning the tuning heads, moving them fractions at a time, but when you get it right, you're in tune perfectly.
  5. Rav

Rav Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2004
    Aurora, IL
    I have a DTR 1000 and love it.

The 1000 and 2000 are functionaly idential the 2000 just has a couple features the 1000 doesn't. They are as follows:

As mentioned a light on the front.
    2 inputs with an a/b switch
    MIC input to tune acoustic instruments
    Reference tone generator to tune things you can't hook to it ( think of it like an electronic tuning fork )
    displays in CENT and Hz as well as the standard output

The 2000 will also tell you what string you are playing if you tell it what kind of instrument your playing. On a bass guitar this really only works well with a 4 sring. If the string played is anything other than EADG it reads L or H for lower or higher.

Thats it.

To me personally the difference between the 1k and 2k seemed like glitter and fluff mostly and I decided I liked the 1k's more straight forward just do it and not be flashy about it aproach.

I think the difference in price is usually about $100 retail.

Hope this helps.

6. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Thats not true. Maybe the model has been revised from the one you tried.

Also the DTR-2000 does strobe tuning, that the 1000 does not. Strobe is alot more accurate than conventional.
  7. DLM

May 25, 2004
    ...both Sabine and Korg rackmount tuners are accurate within +/- 1.0 cent. So the question is, are you getting more accuracy for more money?

Peterson tuners, on the other hand, are supposedly accurate within 0.1 cent.
  8. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    I think the bigger question is how accurate do you really have to be? I think they'll all work fine in respect to accuracy and what you actually hear.
  9. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    The DTR-1000 also does strobe tuning.
  10. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Hmm, tuner threads now go in Misc. moved. :)