Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Koussevitzky Speculation

Discussion in 'Orchestral Technique [DB]' started by ClassicalDB, Apr 19, 2005.

1. ClassicalDB

ClassicalDB Guest

Apr 9, 2005
    Beverly Hills
    I was just listening to Ivan Sztankov's version of the Concerto and for some reason it seems like hes playing a C# on the fourth note of the first movement. Is this correct? I was just looking at my edition and it seems that the C is natural because the key is G. Can anybody confirm that the 4th note of the concerto is a C or is it a C#....?

2. C natural.

I don't know that recording so I can't comment.

For my money, if one were going to be a little out of tune on that note, it would be better to be a little flat. I think we want to have a little harmonic tension leading us back to the B natural again. I slightly flatter C natural will accomplish this more easily than a sharp one IMO. Of course, being perfectly in tune on the C natural is perfectly fine too. Sharp is the least effective of the three choices in my opinion.

The flip side of that passage is that it would also be better to be sharp rather than flat on the A# (the second note). Again, we are are trying to draw the ear to the B.

3. ClassicalDB

ClassicalDB Guest

Apr 9, 2005
    Beverly Hills
    Thanks a lot. After playing it again I realize that it sounds right to play the C natural