1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

KSD 70s 6 string. First impressions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mp40smg, Jan 18, 2012.

1. mp40smg

mp40smg

Aug 11, 2010
    Worcester, Ma.
    Ok. I wanted a Fender like 6 string Jazz bass. Looking around, I settled on the KSD 70s. The features, Specs and look.
    I really wanted the Ash/ maple combo so, went for the 70s. This came in last night and I have had only about an hour or so with it. The truss needed tightening. I gave it a 30deg tweak and am letting it sit and adjust and acclimate. So, set up and intonation information is still up in the air a bit here.

The good:
    It is a pretty convincing Jazz.
    Body: Ash, finish is very well done: glossy, clear no checks, cracks or swirls. Grain is nice.

Knobs are cheap, functional, nice looking and "good enough". Smooth with no noise. Jack is tight.

Pick ups, standard Jazz style.
    Passive: Sound is decent on passive but rather weak. Sound is usable and just OK, nice in case of a dead battery at a gig, it would at least get you by.

Active: Sound is far better active, the preamp brings the pickups to life. Clean crisp and clear. Mids and highs: good. bottom seems to tend towards boomy. Not mud, but not really defined either.

Neck:
    One piece maple. Very plain, straight grain lacking character. Again, functional, good enough.

fretboard, maple. Tiny bit of a flame in the right light angle.

Inlays, apparently Mother of toilet seat. Amazingly well installed. No evidence of filler. Presume lazer cut. difficult to see while playing, not a lot of difference between the white wood and white MOP. as they are so well installed, they disappear into the fretboard.

Frets.. they do not look or feel like Fender Jumbos. They feel small, more like medium small guitar frets. Rather odd. they are installed well on the neck (face). However, the edges are not well finished. They are rough and scrape your hands. this needs to be fixed.

Nut. Plastic. It's OK, again, good enough.

headstock: Maple, looks like an ash, possibly maple headstock vaneer with a bit of uninspiring grain.

Tuners. generic. good enough. not wonderful. Smooth enough. Seem to hold tune. But with brand new strings it is difficult to be definitive yet.

The not so great.
    Strings are awful. They are new. But, not alive.

There is a decent dip on the bass side of the neck. Truss rod was pretty loose, assume a 30degree turn will straighten, waiting for neck to settle and adjust over night.

Set up: not great. But once truss is tight and neck flattened will tell more.

Intonation, off needs adjustment. Again, once neck flattens will do complete set up and re-assess.

Overall. Not bad at all. For a Sub $900 6 string Jazz bass. I think it will do the job. It needs tweaking. But, not a complete redo.

In a lot of ways this really is like a brand new 70s fender. For those of you that remember such things. It is nice and clean and new and utterly lacking any soul, funk or mojo. I am not a fan of relic-ing basses. But, this bass would be a good candidate. Looking at this, I now understand why music stores would beat up brand new instruments and sell them as slightly used. It is just too clean, too perfect, too sterile.
    I think with some miles and some wear, i will really come to like it.

2. Kitsapbass

Kitsapbass What key is this?

May 26, 2005
    Bremerton, WA
    Pics?

3. mp40smg

mp40smg

Aug 11, 2010
    Worcester, Ma.
    pics tomorrow.

4. Kitsapbass

Kitsapbass What key is this?

May 26, 2005
    Bremerton, WA
    Looking forward to seeing it.

5. basske

basske

Oct 18, 2005
    Menen BelGiuM
    thats my 5 string
    PICT0001.

6. mp40smg

mp40smg

Aug 11, 2010
    Worcester, Ma.
    Basske..
    As I presume that you have had yours for a while.. Overall, was my take on this pretty much what you found?

7. basske

basske

Oct 18, 2005
    Menen BelGiuM
    Yes Indeed. It was a very objective impression you wrote.
    I bought a lot of basses, and sold a lot of basses.
    But this one is still 'in the house' !
    I changed the PU's to bartolinis. I didn't like the humming noise what is typical for single coils.
    And i changed a bit the position of the neck Pu.

visit my webpage and see more pictures...
    WELKOM

8. mp40smg

mp40smg

Aug 11, 2010
    Worcester, Ma.
    Sorry it took so long... Here are pics.. If somebody needs different pics, just let me know..

9. mp40smg

mp40smg

Aug 11, 2010
    Worcester, Ma.
    Just a quick update note.. It is a couple of months in on this.

The neck has settled. I have restrung with Dr strings. The factory strings were abysmal. They were lifeless, sounded off and even turned finger tips black.

The fret issues have gone away with some setlling/ humidification and a bit of filing they are now smooth and decent.

The sound is very faithful rendition of a Fender Jazz bass. But, I tend to play it active 99% of the time. Giving that Jazz tone with just a bit more clarity and top end. Nice.

By Far the biggest let down is the tuners. They are functional but just consistent. Some are smooth and even, others tend to jump and raise lower pitch in odd unpredictable jumps.

Playing in a lousy area, this has become my go to bass. If it was lost-stolen, bumped around, had beer spilled on it, I would not be devastated. But I would not hesitate to replace it.

peoriashows likes this.
  10. It's been over 6 years since you posted this review? Do you still have this bass? Has it collected any mojo and funk now? I got my KSD abiut the same time you did. I've goofed around on it a few times at practice and have only played it at 2 live gigs in the time I've had it. I like a lot about it, but absolutely HATE the tight string spacing. That's what's kept me from playing it out a lot. It has served mainly as a backup and now that my former main bass is my new backup. I'm thinking of selling the KSD and maybe getting a cheaper SX 6-string jazz to goof around on.