1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Kurt at Rondo - SX Ursa 2

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rwelch76, May 16, 2011.

1. Rwelch76

Rwelch76

Apr 6, 2011
    Just received an SX Ursa 2 maple neck vintage series bass in sunburst with black pickguard. I tried out several basses at GC and the one I liked best was the Geddy Lee jazz. Didn't want to spend $1000, so I got this SX for $150, thinking: what the heck?

I must say that the SX is a beautiful bass. It looks almost as good as the Geddy and feels/plays better than the ones I tried at GC. I'm not saying it's as good or better than the Geddy, but for $150- not too shabby!

I sent Kurt a couple of pics of some very minor cosmetic imperfections: first fret blemish and a little rough on top of fretboard edge on frets 19 & 20. I didn't want the hassle of sending back, as it plays and sounds fine and the flaws are barely noticeable.

Kurt is sending me a free deluxe bass bag (not the cheapo one) as recourse for the issues! He always responds promptly to emails and this gesture is really above and beyond what I expect these days re: customer service.

I know people debate about the SX basses on here, but my experience with the instrument and with Kurt has been great.

Kudos to Kurt!

RW

2. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    Kurt at Rondo is the man.

3. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    Kurt's great.

4. I have pretty much decided to buy one of the SX Jazz 5 strings in Sunburst finish. It seems like a lot of bass for the cash!

5. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco/HELIX user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    Let me know how that is as I was looking at them too.
    I've got a P/J and a few Brice's here...and yes, Kurt IS the man!

6. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Kurt is a very fine example that a lot of other people could look to for inspiration. While I have moved on from "budget" basses to ones that more suit me, I still tell a lot of people about Rondo who may be looking for what he has.

7. LimaGuy

LimaGuy The Godfather Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2011
    NY
    Rondo was always a great store with great prices and Kurt a great guy. I had my first job there back in 1989 when they were located in Union NJ. Purchased a ton of stuff, they gave a great employee discount.

8. So with an employee discount, an SX bass is ... free??? :D

9. he answers all of my inane questions promptly and with great care.

10. Mine too. All my dealings with Kurt have been positively...ummm, positive.