1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Kydd Carry-On vs NS Wav 4?

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by Hanuman, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Hanuman

Hanuman

Mar 26, 2009
    Howdy! Wondering if anyone has any thoughts on these two EUB's, given the following background for yours truly:

Basically, I've played electric for many years, both fretted and fretless. I mostly play improv / jazz, so I will be playing little or no arco. I'm very comfortable with the standard electric scale. Portability is a plus but not a deal-breaker.

Both the Kydd and WAV4 fit my budget, including costs for a pre-amp. Unfortunately I don't really have a way to efficiently test both.

Any thoughts on the pros and cons of these two instruments?

2. Jason Hollar

Jason Hollar It Don’t Mean A Thing... Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2005
    Pittsburgh area
    I owned a WAV 4 for a little while. Played nice, but HATED the piezo tone. There's a rather lengthy thread on this axe which includes user modifications/upgrades to the electronics as well.

That said, the WAV is full-scale so if you're not used to playing an upright-size axe, it could be tough.

I've had my eye on the Carry-On for a while because it's so dang small. The scale length is 30" and is a dream to play. Kydd also makes 34" and 42" scale instruments -- so maybe you would be better off with the "Big Kydd" -- the 34" scale like an electric.

If I could save up the bread, I'd consider the NS Bass Cello. It's a 5 string, 34" scale, plus it has EMG's in addition to a piezo setup -- which would be great for louder gigs. This would probably be out of your budget though...

Good luck!

3. Cutty

Cutty

Jun 25, 2006
    U.K.
    Iv'e owned a Kydd "carry On"for a few years now and i'm still happy with it,i use a early K&K 2 band preamp with it and it sounds huge!!!deep,focused and very clear,and it's a dream to transport,i use the D'darrio chromes on it and it's perfect,hope this helps.

4. This thread is quite old.
    In fact, the member who started the thread didn't come back since more than a year.