1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

L2000 unstable neck

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by Showdown, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I have an '86 L2000 that I purchased a couple of years ago. It needs a truss rod adjustment every couple of months (always tightening), and has since I bought it. I've never had a bass (I own over 20 right now) that needed adjustment so often. Also, if I loosen the strings when I re-tighten them it always has way more relief than before. I just loosened the strings to add a shim, and it had almost 1/8" relief when I tightened the strings again. Has anyone else had this problem? Maybe the truss rod nut is slipping? I'm afraid I'll run out of adjustment always tightening it, but it hasn't happened in a couple of years of regular adjustment.

I use to have an '82 L1000 that I bought new and sold in 1996. In fourteen years, including moves from Missouri to California to Virginia to Hawaii, I never once had to adjust the truss rod. That was the most stable neck I've ever owned, and this one is the least stable. Very frustrating.

Any ideas?

2. I think I'd have a luthier look at it. There really isn't much more you can do besides making sure that the neck screws are well tightened.

Ken...

3. quickervicar

quickervicar Supporting Member

Jul 21, 2006
    Lancaster, PA
    Showdown, both my SB-2 & my ASAT have similar symptoms to what you describe. It doesn't feel like there's a problem with the rod nut, but I can't get it to settle down like I want it to. My L2k (with Moses graphite neck) needed one tweak after a month & has been rock-solid ever since. I always use the truss rod nut to hold the adjustment--never to get to the adjustment.

Now I'm getting a bit worried.

4. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Yeah, I'm worried about mine too. It's a great bass, it would be a shame if this made it unplayable.