1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

LA and NY music scene

Discussion in 'Ask Justin Meldal-Johnsen' started by plasson, Nov 17, 2010.

1. plasson

plasson

Mar 21, 2005
    hi JMJ,

I know you are mostly active in LA, but do you have any experience with the NY scene?
    I was wondering if there was any style that was mostly associated with one town or another (like, if I think Nashville, country is what comes to mind).
    I'd like to extend the question to any music related field (film scoring, sound design, engineering).
    any town more "proficient" than the other?

actually I'd like anyone who as experience in regard of this to share thoughts.

2. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen Gold Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2005
    I don't really have a clue about NY. I've only gone there to record about four different times in my career.

Best,
    JMJ

3. brianh

brianh

Aug 19, 2005
    NYC
    Endorsing: Epifani Amplification
    I don't think there is as much session work in NY. Lots of cool, creative gigs and in my experience just about every style of music at a high level...but the recording thing seems to be more in LA.

4. it exists - don't have any experience to compare it to LA though. But like most things in this industry there is a small handful of guys getting the lion's share of work...