1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

La Bella Black Nylon Tape Wound

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by glocke1, Jan 26, 2018.

1. glocke1

glocke1 Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2002
    PA
    Just put these on my fender elite..after about 6 weeks of ownership the factory strings were pretty dead.

Jury is still out..they sound great, but feel a little too slick, and I was also a little surprised to find I had to adjust my action more than I expected to. Being a slightly heavier gauge than the factory strings I had thought I might have to lower the action to get a feel similar to what I had before the change, but I actually had to raise the action.

I was planning on gigging tonight with this bass, but might leave it home and bring a different one until i get used to these.

2. Slidlow

Slidlow Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Oshawa, Canada
    My standard is Rotosound. I have a set of GHS on my five string and they are brighter but rougher finish. I have new La Ballas for my six string once it is completed so I am hoping they will be fine. Interested to hear how you make out.

fretlessguy likes this.
  3. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    One tapewound I haven't tried yet.
    I have D'Addario on my Dean Exotica acoustic they sound great, and GHS on my L2000, sheer perfection.
    Of course, GHS stopped making them!

No truss rod adjustment for either, but my old Exotica required a slight tweak.

4. glocke1

glocke1 Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2002
    PA

So I took the black tape wounds off 2 hours after putting them on and replaced them with Fender 7250 45-105's (these get a lot of hate here I think but I like them).

While they sounded great, the Labellas just felt off to me. Maybe not enough tension or something, or maybe it just how slick they felt. I like to dig in when I play, and as a result I like to feel some resistance from the string and I just wasn't getting that from the LaBellas. I might put them on my Martin ABG or maybe a different jazz bass.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 12, 2021