Lab systems amps made in australia, what do you think?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by minimalist freedom, Apr 24, 2018.

1. Anyone with experience playing through a Lab systems amp?
    What do you think...pity they went bust.

2. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    A member who used to post here 10-15 years ago had a lot of good things to say about them. Loud for their ratings.

3. Yeah rated at 400 sounds more like ?
    Played medium sized gigs never had a volume problem.

4. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

They build them upside down!! :D

5. Have'nt played one but by all accounts a quality and solid peace of kit. Around '05
    I was trying to decide between Eden and
    Lab Systems - played the Eden first and fell in love. The maker is still around - I think semi retired - but still servicing amps.
    I'll be sending my WT550 to him soon for a service.

Cheers Maurie.

6. He lives in Melbourne making a line of guitar amps.

Ausbass1970 likes this.
  7. Ausbass1970

Ausbass1970

Jul 25, 2018
    Hi there.
    I'm in Perth Western Australia.
    I recently looked at a Labsystem SS600S amp. Took my Crate 15" cab and Ibanez SDGR405SRQM.
    Plugged it in and was instantly hooked. There was the tone I'd been searching for all this time.
    So impressed I recently bought the VP600S and bugger me, its even better.
    SS600S was warm. Smooth and was Sade, Pretenders quality.
    VP600S, was still in it's original packaging with warranty card and manual. Used 3x in 20+ years. Not a scratch on it. $700.
    This thing is a pleasure.
    Never have I struggled to get a good quality sound out of either of them.

I run them with the Labsystem 410 cab (450w @ 8 ohms) which is really warm. Like a hot knife through butter.
    Sometimes I use them with a Trace Elliot 410 cab ([email protected])
    This is more of a HiFi sound but no tone is inaccessible.
    For the extra boost and to utilise the full 600 watts, I pair the cabs up with the Crate 15" with a Celestion 360w @ 8 ohms.

I use these set ups to play anything from ACDC to ZZ TOP.

There is no messing around with them like I've experienced with Class D amps. Virtually plug in and play with minor adjustments.

If you can find them, get them.

Amps are heavy but not stupidly heavy.
    IMO get the 600 watt or higher.
    Sure the 300 watt is just as good but it has its limits.

8. My main rig is a Labby. A bit of rock history actually but still gigging regularly here in Adelaide. The serial numbers are 94001 and 94007. It was reputedly Richard Grossman's rig (Hoodoo Gurus, Divinyls) and I picked it up for an unbelievable A$25 in 2010. I sent it straight to Tim Evans (yes he's still building amps) who completely re-capped and serviced it. I have two other M4 power amps which still perform flawlessly although being MOSFET they do get a bit hot on Australian summer nights. Sound? Well it sounds like it is - a two stage 12AX7 preamp like an Ampeg - and the word 'beefy' comes to mind. The only thing I miss is some sort of parametric filter.
    DSC_0056.JPG

Rocksolid, RandM and Ausbass1970 like this.
  9. `ash

`ash

Feb 26, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    I never played through the Lab Systems amps, but my dream rig was the VP5 (?) valve preamp into a QSC.
    Ive always loved how the cabinets sounded. Loud and heaps of depth. Scary with lots of juice going to them.
    A 4x10, either model, is plenty for anyone, but I had to have more.
    I used a 2x10 & 2x12 and its the best thing Ive heard. I used to GAS for a 2x15 but this had it covered by a long way. This kicked serious arse with the iAmp giving it 800w. It was beautiful.
    Untill, some ####er stole it.
    As Im told the Lab Systyems 2x12's were pretty rare down here in Melbourne, so if you come across one, its probably mine.
    .....Not pictured, Fender Sting sig (also stolen)
    2013-03-02 13.16.47.jpg

Frunobulax likes this.
  10. sprag

sprag

Sep 15, 2011
    Melb Australia
    I had a lab systems 15 inch combo for nearly 20 years It sounded amazing. I only sold it cos I was desperate for cash and of all the stuff I put up for sale it got the first bites

Tim lives not far from me and has done some tech work on a few pieces of gear for me over the years. No complaints there either

11. I did get my WT550 serviced by Tim, great job, works like new and it's 14 yrs old.

Sorry to hear about the thefts 'ash, totally agree with you about the 210/212 combo though mine are Eden 4ohm boxes. If I'd gone Labby, I would have gotten exactly the same boxes as you : )

Cheers Maurie.

12. I'll keep an eye out for them. Adelaide's known for being hot ;)

13. I've heard nothing but good things about them. For what that's worth. I've never used one..... for some reason I liken them to Australia's GK.....? Perhaps coz they're solid state and I've heard they're reliable workhorses and always sound good.

14. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Your career goes down the drain counter clockwise. :)

BassmanPaul likes this.
  15. I bought a VP 400, and two cabs - a 4x10 and 2x10 - brand new in 1996 for $3200. It was my only gigging amp for 15 years. A very nice warm-sounding rig that was loud enough for any venue I came across. I gave it to my brother late last year {also a bass player} because his amp had carked it {and my markbass CMD 121H and extension 121H extension cab are all I really need these days} .

16. `ash

`ash

Feb 26, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    All can hope for, is they wrecked their backs pinching them cause those suckers were heavy.

17. We can all hope for that mate - it's just such a low act.

Cheers.

18. sprag

sprag

Sep 15, 2011
    Melb Australia
    Long shot that its yours but i just saw lab systems 212 and 115 cabs and head for sale in melbourne on the high end guitar Facebook page located in melbourne...

Rocksolid likes this.
  19. `ash

`ash

Feb 26, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Thanks. Will cast an eye over it.

20. Can confirm. I currently have a friend's older Labsystems 800B in my garage, and have AB'd it with my GK 1001RBII on a few occasions. Very similar sounding amps in a lot of ways, with the GK having the better EQ and preamp stage.

Frunobulax likes this.