1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Labella flats on Warwick Corvette

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by sal87, May 16, 2011.

1. sal87

sal87

Dec 19, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA
    Hey all, I have a Warwick Corvette Std bass (34 scale I believe) that I'm thinking of putting some Labella flatwounds on. Was wondering about the tension and the neck's ability to handle it after the appropriate setup...anybody with the same bass have any advice? Also, any opinion on which gauge is better (the 760FM or the 760S) for standard tuning (I've heard alot of people put on the heavier sets so they can tune down)?

2. jamesczar

jamesczar Brother James

Jan 13, 2010
    Cincinnati, OH
    On my Warwick Corvette Double Buck. I love them! 760M. The ones that Donald Duck Dunn and James Jamerson used back in the day.

I haven't tried the 760FMs, but there are several threads on the difference (although no definitive answers - sounds like you need to hear them for yourself).

I'm completely addicted to my 760Ms. I love the tension, stiffness, and tone. They just feel right and not loose at all.

With all the EQ options the Double Buck offers, I can dial in a huge variety of tones, yet still back it off into a nice, tight vintage sound.

I've heard that the LaBella flats don't really get great sounding until they've been on for at least 3 years. I'm at about 2+ and they're only getting better.

Best investment I've ever made (other than the Double Buck itself).

I also put them on my Active Jazz Deluxe 5. They sound great on that, and the variety of EQ there also gives me a wide range of tones. However, amazingly, it's the Warwick that can dial in that vintage sound the most.

I have 760Ns on my Takamine B10, but the jury is still out on them. Still getting to know them better.