1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

LaBella FS vs. LaBella FL (String Tension & Balance)

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by EliasMessiah, Aug 28, 2020.

1. Tension as in stiffness...

Lowering saddles = lowering action, which means the string doesn't need to be pressed down as far to be fretted. This can result in a feel of less stiffness for the left hand. Shouldn't change anything for the plucking fingers, though.

wschenk and TomB like this.
  2. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    Ah, of course!

3. EliasMessiah

EliasMessiah

Aug 28, 2020
    Exactly! I brought the sattle down and the string all of a sudden becomes less tense. And i mean less tense for the plucking hand. I don't know how or why this works but it solved the problem for me. I put the saddle of the E-string all the way down, upped the saddle of the A-string quite a bit and lowered D and G just a little and now they're balanced. I feel like i discovered something, that not many people are aware of. Maybe this just works with my particular bridge...

4. EliasMessiah

EliasMessiah

Aug 28, 2020
    Update: The next day i tried to play my bass again i noticed that the strings didn't changed their tension. "Was it all in my head?", i wondered... I could swear that changing the height of the saddles would change string tension. Don't know how this placebo created, it really baffles me. So before bringing any false hopes up, i want to redo my old comment by saying string tension balance IS important!

Don't know what i should do next but i guess people really like the LaBella Low Tension strings.
    I really like to play in C Tuning, so the string tension might be a bit too low with those.
    Also did anyone try LaBella Gold Flat's? How well are they balanced?

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 18, 2021