Lace-Helix?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Who has one? I saw the two pickup version is $899 at on GC's website. This one pup version sounds fierce!

2. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I LOVE the look of them! Not sure I would drop $900 sight unseen though.

In any case, they are on my "to do" list!

3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Here is the two pup version:

4. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Never owned one, but played a couple at GC on separate occasions. Frankly they always left me wanting more. I love the look and the playability, but never could dial in a tone that was anything more than "decent."

5. NorCal Dog

NorCal Dog

Nov 28, 2005
    415/707
    they look & sound nice, but

this economy has cured my G.A.S.

i ain't buying chit :D i'll play what i got

6. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    I've looked into them. I like crazy stuff, but that's way too much cash for what it actually is -- an oddball Chinese bass.

I'll wait until they blow over and get blown out for near-nothing. I'm doubting they'll survive the recession.

[I'm already in vulture mode. :smug:]

7. Basstovsky

Basstovsky Stuck on those 4-strings

Feb 29, 2008
    Massachusetts
    The look is too radical for me, however the pickups are pretty fierce, I;m saving up to put one of their Aluma-P pickups in a parts P-bass i have lying around. (they have samples on their website) Also they're releasing a more "retro" inspired one with the aforementioned P-pickup and an aged looking maple neck and sunburst finish i think.

8. LaceMusic

LaceMusic

Apr 29, 2008
    Artist Relations Lace Music
    Hey Guys.

The new neck through models have the new Bass Bars and a wider spacing at the bridge. We haven't raised the price. But we'll be OK through this economic mess - Don't worry about us.

Lot of interest at NAMM - Look for new endorsers soon.

MikeG
    Lace Music

9. rs_worthington

rs_worthington

Aug 5, 2008
    I got mine from Musicians Friend for $619. (neck-through) Sure wish I had waited and got the new one with the BassBars. It's alright though, it still sounds fantastic and I have two other custom basses I built with the BassBars.

lace029.gif

lace052.gif

10. Basstovsky

Basstovsky Stuck on those 4-strings

Feb 29, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Did you have to route much to fit the bassbars into that thunderbird body? That seems like a vast pickup improvement.

11. LaceMusic

LaceMusic

Apr 29, 2008
    Artist Relations Lace Music
    Mike Watt is really digging his BassBar. He told me not too long ago. His keyboardist in the Secondmen, Pete, said he likes it too. Nice guy, Pete!

Bassbars seem to be the hot item. Also the Aluma-P's are still hot, and the Aluma-J's will be shipping in a few months. THAT is going to be a great sounding pickup!

Thanks RS for diggin our stuff!

MikeG
    Lace Music

12. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Any chance of an Alumitone for the old style single coil P (and single coil Telecaster) style bass?

I've been using an Alumitone Strat pickup in my "Telecaster" bass and, while it sounds very good, I'm just wondering if one designed specifically for the bass would be any different?

Here's a picture of the Alumitone Strat pickup in the bass:

[​IMG]

13. rs_worthington

rs_worthington

Aug 5, 2008
    It's a standard EMG soapbar rout.....fits right in -and you are correct about the vast improvement........

14. rs_worthington

rs_worthington

Aug 5, 2008
    No, I can't thank you enuff for the great product.

RS

15. Versatek6

Versatek6 Fretless is like Trombone

Oct 7, 2008
    Twin Cities, MN
    Any idea if these are anywhere close to the Bartolini CF in size? I have been toying with the idea of a change in my Cort Curbow 4.

I have been using the Transensors, California Convertibles, and D100 in my guitars for years, and really enjoy their performance.

16. knarleybass

knarleybass Commercial User

Apr 6, 2005
    Tustin, CA
    Owner of Ulyate Instruments
    I bet that sounds great! I had a P bass that I wanted to put four of those pickups in. But I couldn't wait so I went another rout.

17. the_evil_monk

the_evil_monk

Dec 18, 2008
    Olathe, KS
    I have a Lace Helix neck-thru 4-string that I picked up off eBay for $500...I freakin love it. I saw the body style once, and was hoping it played as good as it looked...and it does. WIDE range of tones, and always gets a second look out and about. Thanks to the guys at Lace who have made such a tremendous instrument!

18. Are all their basses passive or do they have active models too? Every one that I've seen has been passive.

19. the_evil_monk

the_evil_monk

Dec 18, 2008
    Olathe, KS
    I think all of the Alumitone pickups are passive - I know mine is. From the Lace Website: "The Helix™ bass is equipped with the revolutionary Alumitone® pickup, designed by Jeff Lace. These Alumitones® are a “current driven” design, rather the traditional voltage based pickups, allowing the musician a higher fidelity or “broad-band response” that helps to create a tighter top-end, more mid-range and a huge bottom end. This passive pickup outperforms many active systems, and the sonic output level generally exceeds that of similar preamp equipped basses. With today’s increased environmental concerns, Lace® also wanted to create a lightweight, advanced pickup that doesn’t contribute to pollutants caused by discarded batteries. “By using the Alumitone, ® the need for conventional pickups with a preamp and battery are eliminated, and you lose almost two pounds of weight, without compromising output or performance,” states Jeff Lace."

Don't let that scare you off though, these pickups are amazingly versatile in the tones they produce, and I can get an amazing "active-sounding" tone out of my Helix.

Pics on the way!

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021