1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Lakeland Skyline Transplant

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Mackonbass, Apr 20, 2010.

1. Mackonbass

Mackonbass

Apr 20, 2010
    I have a Lakland Skyline 55-01. I have had this bass for about 7 years and now it's starting to act up :mad:. I am looking to replace the pre amp and pickups. Any suggestions. It currently has Bartolini MK-1 pickups and pre amp. Feel free to respond or eamil me at Decktheace@gmail.com :help:

2. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Can you describe the problems? I have a bone stock 55-01D of the same vintage.

3. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
  4. Mackonbass

Mackonbass

Apr 20, 2010
    I have to constantly plug and unplug the patch cord into the instrument to get sound. Its almost like when you have to clear your throat alot in the morning. Either it doesn't get any sound at all, or its very scratchy and fuzzy and the volume control goes in and out alot....

5. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    Well, the output jack is what turns the preamp on. (The sleeve makes the connection of the battery to the pre. Pretty common arrangement on active basses.)

It's possible that the jack is boogered, but I'd suggest two easy things to try:

1. Make sure the plug on your cord is clean and shiny. An ordinary pencil eraser is a pretty good tool for cleaning it! (I ain't kidding ya! When I was a second engineer in a studio, I was always cleaning patch bay cords that way.)

2. After that, leave the amp turned off and just "exercise" the jack in the bass. In, out, in, out, in, out... um... like Freudian sublimation... ;)

See if that helps, before you start changing parts.

Oh, yeah--you're sure the guitar cord is in good working condition, right?

6. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Flossin'? I thought your name was Munson! Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    64 Audio · DR Strings · Source Audio · Hipshot
    Or, it may be a dirty volume pot... get some cleaner and clean it out.

7. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    I had the same problem.

My local guitar tech replaced the jack for under $30.

Problem solved.

No transplant for me....yet. :D :bassist:

8. Mackonbass

Mackonbass

Apr 20, 2010
    Well, I have had the volume pot replaced once already, and even had it re-soldered. I kinda want to do the transplant anyway, but if I can hold off I will. I will try cleaning it out again and see what happens....

9. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    Well, if ya want to do the pre/pup upgrade, here's my .02:

Nordy pups and Aggie pre. (That's what I've got in my 55-01. I've heard a Bart pre works nice with Nordy, too.)

Which pups depends on the sound you're after. Big Singles get a modern J-bass sound (they're in my 55-01), but pick up 60-cycle noise unless the blend pot is centered. It's the same deal as on Fender J-basses: two single-coils out-of-phase cancel hum and get the scoopy EQ. As you favor one or the other pup, the hum cancellation decreases.

I've got Big Splits in an MTD Kingston. They're quiet, sound good (IMHO), and kinda sound J-ish.

Or you could do Fat Stacks, if that's the sound you want. I have no experience with them.

10. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Replace the output jack.

If you replace the pickups and preamp it will have the same issue.

Jacks wear out. Pickups and preamps don't.

You have changed the battery, right?

11. Mackonbass

Mackonbass

Apr 20, 2010
    What size tuners are on skylines? 3/8 or 1/2?

12. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Flossin'? I thought your name was Munson! Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    64 Audio · DR Strings · Source Audio · Hipshot
    Most are 1/2. I've seen a few that had Gotoh-style tuners, which are 3/8, but they were the exception, not the rule.

13. Mackonbass

Mackonbass

Apr 20, 2010
    Does anybody know where I can get a replacement neck for my 55-01? I have a maple neck and it is showing some serious wear. I am in the process of rebuilding my 55-01 (pickups/pre amp) and want to get a "glazed" maple neck for it. Also, does anybody know wher I can get some black frets from?