Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lakland 55-02 weight inquriy

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Scotius2001, Oct 12, 2003.

1. Hey all you Skyline 55-02 owners - how much do your basses weigh? Mine scales in at 10.5 lbs and while I love the sound and playability, it's just too much for my aging shoulders after an hour or 2. Curious if mine is heavier than average as I may have to sell it and find a lighter one. Thanks

2. DB5

DB5

Jul 3, 2001
    Austin Texas
    Mine is about 10 lbs. I always take two basses to the gig, seems to help on the back just by switching them, also you may want to purchase a comfort strap. They do make a difference
    :bassist:

3. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    When you older folks with your "aging backs" decide to sell your 55-02's, us younger folks are ready to buy em from ya. :D What we have in strength is offset by the fact that we don't have the money to buy a 55-02, but you guys sure do have the dough. Guess that's the perk of gettin older. ;)

-P

4. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    This is so not fair! I'm old and I can't afford a Skyline yet.

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Wel I haven't weighed it - but one of the first things that surprised me about the 55-02 was how light it was. It is lighter and more comfortable for gigs than my Tobias Classic 5 and I can play with it for ages without even noticing it's there. And I have had severe back problems!!

I do use a Comfort Strapp - but I've used one of these on all my basses for the last 4-5 years.

6. Is yours a deluxe or a standard? Is it natural or some other finish? I had a 55-01 natural that was a bit lighter than my deluxe 55-02 so I suspect that the natural ash bodies are lighter?

7. Bruce Lindfield

Profiles!!? ;)

I have a 55-02 Cherry Sunburst Deluxe with rosewood fingerboard.

8. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!

I'm 40, & my 55-01 weighs bout the same as an 02, & never, did I ever feel as though it was too heavy... I hate to appear rude, but if you've become fragile enough to that carrying a bass for an hour or two seems daunting,,, I'd say owe it to yourself to work out a bit...

9. Hey dude, I was just looking for some info in an attempt to better my quality of bass playing experience. Wasn't looking for a scolding from the workout police.

Pretty presumptuous post if you ask me. At the risk of sounding rude myself, you know nothing about my condition that would allow you to comment as you did. Knowing my own situation, I can say with certainty that what happens to my shoulder and hands after an evening with 10+ pounds dangling there has very little to do with working out and unless you're an MD or a Chiropractor, I'm inclined to dismiss your post as exactly as you described it - rude (and pointless).

I can speak from experience that there are differences in the weight range in the 55-01 and 55-02 series. As I said in my first post, my 02 weighs 10.5 lbs which is the heaviest I've heard discribed on this forum. I wager that's notciably heavier than yours. A mere pound and a half makes a big difference in my case.

I've been playing actively since highschool and have read posts here refering to the perils of spending years with 8-11 lbs of wood hanging on one's shoulder (do a search on bass and chiropractors and you might learn something). Lightening the load is the first order of business as far as I'm concerned (and I'm sure the Chiropractor I'll eventually see will tell me the same thing)

Sorry for the rant...

10. Man, I just got my 55-02 (black/maple) and was really surprised how much lighter it is than my Spector Euro 5. I love it.

11. I always assumed Lakies were light because mine is the lightest bass I've ever owned except for maybe an Ibanez. Mine has an ash body.

12. The weight of the Skylines can vary a lot. The American models are pretty consistantly lightweight. My 55-94 Deluxe is lighter than any of my 4 strings, possibly excepting a very light Fender Aerodyne Jazz. My guess is that the 55-94 is between 8 and 9 pounds. The bathroom scale isn't very accurate. Getting back to the Skylines, if you check out www.clubbass.ca you will find that Dave has listed the weight for each individual Skyline he has in stock, as well as the ones he's sold recently. You might find it quite informative. If you live near Toronto than visiting will give you an even better picture of the situation (ie what exactly is the difference, from my shoulder's point of view, between a 9 and a half pound and a 10 pound one).

13. Bruce Lindfield

I'm with you and the poster just after you - I was really suprised at how light the 55-02 deluxe was when I first tried it in the shop and it is teh lightest 5-string I have owned. I clicked that link and it says 9.8lbs which doesn't sound bad to me.

But anyway it is much lighter then the RB5 I had which was a similar size and shape and feels like about half the weight of the (old)TRB6P I owned, which did give me back pain at times! And that's apart from the basses I have tried in shops and ruled out for being too heavy - like Wals and some others!

I used my 55-02 deluxe at a long gig last night and it really feels like no weight at all and I have had back problems and visited physiotherapists etc. for many years.