Lakland Dealer Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Airsick Pilot, Oct 22, 2003.

1. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    Hey everyone.

I don't know if this is the right forum to post this question so mods, feel free to move it.

I've been searching everywhere, looking for the best deal I can get on a new Lakland Skyline Darryl Jones.

"FOR SALE: Lakland Basses
    Posted: : 10/01/2003
    Category: Basses
    Condition: Brand New
    Asking Price: $

US and Skyline models!! Special deal now on USA 55-94 in cherryburst with maple board. E-mail or call for details. Always the lowest prices on Laklands!

FULL NAME: Basses Loaded
    PHONE: 847-441-4150
    CITY, STATE: Chicago, IL

I saw this ad while I was browsing through, emailed them and received a price quote of "$900 for a brand new Skyline DJ"

That seems like a pretty good price, isn't it? My question is, are these guys legitimate dealers?Have any of you guys dealt with them? I did a search on Basses Loaded and found nothing I was looking for.

Thanks alot.

Edit: If you guys know of any good deals on the above mentioned model, do tell. I'm ordering it internationally and the shipping costs are really going to burn a big hole in my pocket.
  2. That's a great price, it's 40% off. But you may want to ask if it's b-stock, a factory blem, etc.

I order blems for customers and stock to save a buck, when they are available. And some, when compared to firsts I can't tell the difference.

Also, Lakland has a policy where prices shouldn't be advertised at below 30% off... but I don't see basses loaded as a Dealer, either. It wouldn't hurt to give Lakland a call, tho... but that price is great, there's no doubt about that.

3. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    That's below MAP and I imagine the seller could be jeapordizing his dealership. I wouldn't buy a Lakland from anyone but Dude, or Bass Central.
  4. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    Hey Cheeze, you have PM.
  5. I was bored this morning so I did a reverse lookup on there telephone number.

Here's what I got:

North Shore Music Institute
    790 W Frontage Rd
    Northfield, IL 60093
    (847) 441-4150

They aren't listed as a dealer, but Lakland doesn't always have their website updated.

On the MAP thing. They aren't advertising the price, because the price was asked for in an e-mail.

Good Luck,

6. I second those choices. I got mine from BC only because Dude was out of 55-02's, and BC had the exact one I wanted. Not that I don't like BC (got my Spectors through them and my new pups) but I liike to spread the GAS wealth :)
  7. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    He is legit, and his defense is that he isn't advertising prices below the Lakland MAP.

You inquire, he gives you a quote.
  8. welcome to the free market
  9. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    hey, thanks for the welcome!
    but guess what? with some manufacturers , you do that, you lose the dealership!
    see, i knew i shouldve kept my mouth shut ;)
  10. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    You do have to worry about quality of service when the quote you get is much lower than the norm. What happens if something is wrong with your new bass? Will this dealer actually provide any help or will they ignore you?

Personally, I tend to go with the best price from a reputable dealer. Dude and Bass Central are two great places to buy from. I have bought 3 basses from Dude and numerous sets of strings and a couple of J Retros. I have never had an unsatisfactory dealing with Dude.
  11. na I meant competition etc.

But we also have a thing called ethics

Like, if a bass player was going to play in my band for cheaper than me (but whats cheaper than free?, heh), I hope they would consider our friendships and creative bonds.

Along the same lines, I will ALWAYS spend a few more bucks to buy from dealers that I know, trust, and have great reps. Like Dude and BC.

Anyhow ..... thats also why I buy my cables and stuff from local stores (mom and pops) rather than GuitarCenters. And often they will match the prices too.
  12. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    I haven't actually made up my mind yet, but I'm thinking long and hard about getting the DJ but anyways I emailed Dan yesterday and he promptly replied.

"Yes Steve is an authorized dealer. That is an excellent price (a
    little to
    low - but good for you). He is selling all new - A-stock basses. He
    is a
    good guy and I would buy from him without a worry.

Thanks for the interest in our bass. I'm sure you will like the

Thanks for all the info supplied, appreciate it. :)
  13. sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    If Dan says it, I will believe it. He could tell me the moon really is made out of blue cheese, and I would give him the benefit of the doubt. I wouldn't be surprised if he makes a call to the dealer, though.

From what I have heard (and experienced), I would not hesitate to buy from Dude or BassCentral. The customer service that they offer has been unmatched. If Dan says he is authorized, even if the seller won't offer support after the sale, Dan will help you out.

(Looking at a possible DJ myself)
  14. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    airsick pilot,

You have PM