1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Lakland Owners Group #69

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Wes275

Wes275

Sep 10, 2018
    HAHA Touche. Well i may just take your advise and do the preamp first. Ive read multiple people say the pickups greatly improve after the electronic upgrade. I love the bass, it is a huge step up from my squier. Haha the only thing I dont like is how harsh the "clicking" is when I do a ghost note with my right hand. But then again it may be my technique.

Thanks for the warm welcomes guys!

GregC and basspraiser like this.
  2. MAXSPINRUN

MAXSPINRUN Supporting Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Welcome as well. Oh yes GAS WILL come! Did the same to my 44-01. Custom Audere pre, Nordstrand Big Singles and Jazz Bar pups. Shielded control cavity as well.

Attached Files:

3. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    The preamp is a great start!

And the" clicking" may be your technique or maybe the bass needs a set up...

4. nervous

nervous Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Beautiful Central, NY
    The 'clicking you describe is something I often find when there is insufficient relief in the neck setup. There is this point where it will play ok but you can get this phenomena I call 'back buzz, where this clanking, or sometimes buzz noise can happen behind the fretted note. It does not translate through the amp but really noticable when playing unamplified, or unplugged. Yes, I am sure it's a technique thing as I probably hammer down harder than I should but I know that ain't changing any time soon. Certain strings can exacerbate this issue, for me more often than not it's DR Hi Beams, and in fact I am fighting with that very thing on my latest 55-02. Could be a tension thing as well. On others I have switched to Lo Riders and that has helped. I can then almost always find my sweet spot with adequate relief and my usual 5/64" low to +/- 4/64" 12th fret string height.

MAXSPINRUN likes this.
  5. Holdsg

Holdsg I should be practicing Gold Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Alta Loma, CA
    This happened yesterday in London. Not Lakland related, but wanted to share with my LOG brothers

F04A209C-FD3D-4DD6-8818-37E308012C41. 57C115E0-B1D7-4BED-AE65-AF02B65D2B53.

johndb, jmain, OnederTone and 9 others like this.
  6. Iv@N

Iv@N

Jun 8, 2008
    Münster, Germany
    IMG_0672.

jmain, basspraiser, GregC and 4 others like this.
  7. JEDI BASS

JEDI BASS Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    Nice pickup choice!

Iv@N likes this.
  8. Iv@N

Iv@N

Jun 8, 2008
    Münster, Germany
    Here's a quick comparison video I did:

9. basspraiser

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    Enjoy Gman!

10. OnederTone

OnederTone Aguilar Everywhere Gold Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    ... should have been barefoot

(That’s cool)

basspraiser likes this.
  11. nice comparison. They both sound amazingly good. The GZR have some more vintage feeling while the Neos sound more modern. I often though of changing the pickups but I think the Originals are quite a good match.
    DCC052C1-0312-4F2F-9851-E3987D13FB72.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    basspraiser, JEDI BASS and Iv@N like this.
  12. Iv@N

Iv@N

Jun 8, 2008
    Münster, Germany
    The stock Neo Punch sound awesome, too! I'm gonna put them on another P-Bass I have :D

basspraiser, flashgod and Fred312b like this.
  13. JEDI BASS

Jan 26, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    Both are great. Through a Beats Pill, a can hear a small difference. It’s not enough to make me form a preference.

I have a Neo Punch and the standard Vintage going in my Carlo dual P. Neo nearest the bridge and std near the neck. Carl should almost be finished with it. I’m getting antsy!!

14. Fred312b

Fred312b Proof that gear doesn't make you a better player Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    So now is Lakland just selling their US basses direct and Skylines through dealers? They have a few new ones on the ‘verb, and some are NOT b stock/demoes. The email they sent this week had a “pre-build” offer for a 44-64.

Come to think of it, the only new US basses I’ve seen at dealers are at Sweetwater and locally at Midlothian Music (and do they have some beauties!). I wonder which came first- the lack of dealers or the selling direct? Not criticizing, they can do what they want (although being local, I get hit with the AWFUL 10.25% Crook County sales tax)...

Also, this bass is beautiful...
    5D4C5334-E631-4C08-B075-E0DCFAB223FF.

Lakland USA Series 44-60 Buckeye Burl Top 2019 Natural

basspraiser, mrwood4 and GregC like this.
  15. basspraiser

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    That's really interesting.... Did not know you were putting in 2 different pickups!

JEDI BASS likes this.
  16. Cyborg

Cyborg Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2007
    Lowcountry, SC
    Hey Lakland owners!

I purchased a used 2018 55-02 Custom in Ice Blue Metallic off the 'Verb this week. It's a beautiful and well put together. I'm slowly getting used to the 35" scale and 19mm spacing but I don't think that will be an issue long term.

I like it overall but I have one issue with it. The bass basically has no treble bite IMHO. I play through a couple of different Fender Rumble combos (which I think are warmer sounding) and the treble pot doesn't seem to do much when boosting or cutting. It is doing something because I can hear the "hiss" level slightly increasing/decreasing. The midrange and bass works fine and will rip your face off when boosted. I guess I'm expecting that with the treble pot

Maybe the 55-02 has a dark tone but I thought that was one of the reason that Lakland got Hanson to make their pickups.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

17. JEDI BASS

Jan 26, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    Yeah, I had the idea of Neo bridge and Vintage neck. And, after talking about what I wanted sonically from the bass... without me saying anything.. Carl suggested it. So, it must be right ;-)

18. This US HoBo, originally made for Marcus, moved safely to Europe, Lakland NBD :)

FD3B0D38-11A2-4BDA-83EC-AFA15626C545.

19. Tom P

Tom P

Aug 19, 2004
    Noyce pick! You have built an impressive stable!

JEDI BASS and basspraiser like this.
  20. KevinMG

KevinMG Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2005
    Princeton, NJ
    This has been my experience too. Coming from a Fender American Deluxe Jazz, the 55-02 has a more compressed, darker, mid-present tone and which makes the treble seem more subtle. If you play with the mid frequency dip switches in the control cavity, the frequencies affect the treble presence so you might be able to cut some mids and boost treble to get more presence. But I found switching strings made a bigger difference. I switched from my standard D'Addario XL to DR Pure Blues and it definitely brought more in some more treble bite. I keep contemplating a pickup/preamp swap, but the Pure Blues helped enough. I specifically wanted a 5 string to cover the modern tone and I think the 55-02 definitely fits that bill, not to mention the neck is fantastic. But I still miss my ADJV because sometimes you just want that J tone and the 34" scale feel that goes with it.