1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Lakland replacement neck?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Roscoe East, May 3, 2013.

1. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Aug 22, 2011
    Anyone ever successfully bought a replacement neck for their Lakland bass?

(Or tried and been rebuked?)

I've got a Lakland Skyline 55-02D that I bought new ~4 years ago, and A) I've never liked those overseas OEM'd-for-Hipshot tuning machines, they don't stay in tune and have none of the qualities that genuine Hipshot's are lauded for, and (more importantly) B) the neck has been exhibiting an ever-worsening case of fret-sprout since shortly after I bought it. Recently this has gotten so bad as to be un-ignorable.

I realize I should probably just get it refretted and replace the machines...that's the prudent, frugal approach.

But the non-prudent, non-frugal me thinks perhaps I should just replace the entire neck with a new American-made 55-94 neck.

Will Lakland sell a replacement neck? Will they sell me a 55-94 neck for a 55-02D bass? What'll it cost?

Thanks.

2. I had a Lakland 44-01 I bought new that had a terrible case of fret sprout. I emailed Lakland, and they told me to send the bass in and they would fix it for Free. All I had to cover was the shipping cost to them. They fixed the fret sprout, and shipped it back to me on their dime.

Great service. I'm sure they can hook you up.

3. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    You're right: that's neither prudent nor frugal.

Fret sprout does not require a re-fret. Fret sprout simply requires dressing the fret ends - a simple job that a qualified luthier can do in under a half-hour. It is not indicative of any problem with the neck at all and is just a result of climate change.

The tuners are what they are, and a new neck wouldn't come with tuners anyway so you'd still be buying a set of real Hipshots.

There's no reason to replace your neck. Replace the tuners and have the frets dressed.

4. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    The pockets and screw holes are slightly different for an 02 and a 94. They armor changeable

You can get a new 02 neck from lakland for sure.

If you want it need a contact let me know

5. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    I gave 3 skylines and they stay in turn just as well my 6 US Lakies.

6. d00dr

d00dr Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2011
    Jamestown, NY
    I would definitely get in contact with someone at Lakland. Best customer service ever!

7. vernhillbass

vernhillbass

May 11, 2012
    I have a new neck (from Lakland)on the 44-02 I just received

8. vernhillbass

vernhillbass

May 11, 2012
    The HipShot Lic. Tuners on on 2 of my bases and have never had a problem in the 6 years I've owned them, make sure they are properly tightened. IMHO they are every bit as good as the OEM tuners (which I have on 2 other basses)

9. paradog

paradog

Dec 25, 2011
    Central NJ
    +1 :bassist:

10. ejmy

ejmy

Nov 30, 2008
    My 10 year old 55-02 has the best built quality I ever set my hands on in 40 years of playing, and I've played quite a few.

11. vernhillbass

vernhillbass

May 11, 2012
    a 44-02 neck was $400 so figure a bit more for the 5er

12. I have. They are many hundreds of dollars (4-500) for the Skyline model. I picked up a used fretless one for $350 a number of years ago.

Getting a US neck for a Skyline model will cost more than just buying a new 55-02.

For goodness sakes, replace the machines, go spend a few dozen dollars on a setup/fret filing and off you go. :D

13. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    The tuners are slipping? Try tightening the adjustment screw on the back of the tuner a tiny bit. Don't tighten too much, just a bit.

Fret sprout is pretty common where I live due to the dry climate. It can happen on MIA necks, too.

Sorry you have a couple of issues, but they should both be easy and inexpensive (or free) fixes.